News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is John Williams past his prime?

Started by Syt, January 23, 2010, 01:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

John Williams created the soundtracks for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Schindler's List and countless other movies (almost anything Spielberg) and he's won several Oscars for his work.

I'm listening to last.fm, and am on a movie soundtrack tag. Comes up a song I think sounds awfully like something from the Star Wars prequels - fanfares, choir, etc., like fresh from an action scene. Turns out it's from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (which I haven't seen).

Is the guy so far beyond his prime that his soundtracks all begin to sound alike? Or have they always been and I never noticed?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

While I think I have not seen that particular Harry Potter film, the ones I saw had quite a few action scenes. So why would it not fit? Without hearing a soundtrack as actually used in a movie when watching that movie it does not make much sense to judge it in my opinion.

Sophie Scholl

Once you get used to their style, you can almost always tell who is composing a movie's score.  Horner, Elfman, Williams, Newman, Shore, etc.  I wouldn't say it's that they're all past their primes, so much as directors hire them for their past scores and their desire to emulate the general sound that they had previously.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 23, 2010, 03:37:55 AM
Once you get used to their style, you can almost always tell who is composing a movie's score.  Horner, Elfman, Williams, Newman, Shore, etc.  I wouldn't say it's that they're all past their primes, so much as directors hire them for their past scores and their desire to emulate the general sound that they had previously.

Good point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

dps

Quote from: Syt on January 23, 2010, 01:50:07 AM
John Williams created the soundtracks for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Schindler's List and countless other movies (almost anything Spielberg) and he's won several Oscars for his work.

I'm listening to last.fm, and am on a movie soundtrack tag. Comes up a song I think sounds awfully like something from the Star Wars prequels - fanfares, choir, etc., like fresh from an action scene. Turns out it's from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (which I haven't seen).

Is the guy so far beyond his prime that his soundtracks all begin to sound alike? Or have they always been and I never noticed?

Nah, the problem is that you're past your prime and all instrumental soundtracks are starting to sound alike to you.  Give it a couple of years and you won't even be able to tell the songs with vocals from the pure instumental pieces anymore.  :)

katmai

Dps is speaking from his own personal experience.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Strix

I would imagine that classical music and movie sound tracks have the same issues as other types of music where old favorites are "modernized" or given a re-tread every now and than.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Lucidor

My favorite is Morricone, Cinema Paradiso and The Mission, and countless spaghetti westerns.

Josquius

Thinking about it I can think of the Harry Potter 'theme tune'.
So...no he's still going well.
General 'action scene' music tends to be much the same, its point is to blend into the background rather than to dominate.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

I can't remember the exact one, but there is a Tchaikovsky overture I listened to a while back that sounds an awful lot like the Indiana Jones theme.

But I think John Williams has done some decent stuff fairly recently, like the music he did for the 2002 Winter Olympics.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Lucidor on January 23, 2010, 10:14:51 AM
My favorite is Morricone, Cinema Paradiso and The Mission, and countless spaghetti westerns.
His work on Battle of Algiers is simply superb.  I love a Glass film score.

Incidentally to those who haven't watched Prisoner of Azkaban it's by far the best of the Harry Potter films :)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

He has certainly gone pear shaped, but he's still pretty succulent.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2010, 11:55:45 AM
I can't remember the exact one, but there is a Tchaikovsky overture I listened to a while back that sounds an awful lot like the Indiana Jones theme.

Lucas originally showed previews of Star Wars footage with Holst's The Planets as music which served as inspiration for Williams. It' notable in some scenes, like the one where the Falcon is pulled into hangar 3027 of the Death Star, where the music sounds like "Mars, Bringer of War".
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2010, 12:23:49 PM
Incidentally to those who haven't watched Prisoner of Azkaban it's by far the best of the Harry Potter films :)

I agree with that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2010, 12:23:49 PM
Still kinda like arguing about the most virtuous mass murderer, though; "best Harry potter" still isn't necessarily good.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!