John Edwards: "Yep, I am indeed a liar and a giant douchebag!"

Started by Caliga, January 21, 2010, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2010, 07:08:24 PM
The embezzlement of campaign money is bad but the rest of it - why is it even relevant? It's the guy's private life.
It shows the American public that Edwards has no self control, poor judgment, zero loyalty to the people who care about him, and is a shameless liar... traits we don't really like to see in our elected officials.  Strangely, many still exhibit those traits anyway.  Actually, maybe we DO like to see those traits in our elected officials after all.  :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on January 27, 2010, 08:41:18 PM
The embezzlement of campaign money is bad but the rest of it - why is it even relevant? It's the guy's private life.
It shows the American public that Edwards has no self control, poor judgment, zero loyalty to the people who care about him, and is a shameless liar... traits we don't really like to see in our elected officials.  Strangely, many still exhibit those traits anyway.  Actually, maybe we DO like to see those traits in our elected officials after all.  :wacko:
The public perception of his wife as nice and loyal is also a huge strike against him for his behavior.

I'm sure that one of the main reasons Clinton got away with his cheating was many people thought Hillary was a shrill bitch and they couldn't possibly love each other.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2010, 12:09:26 AM
The public perception of his wife as nice and loyal is also a huge strike against him for his behavior.

I'm sure that one of the main reasons Clinton got away with his cheating was many people thought Hillary was a shrill bitch and they couldn't possibly love each other.
Interestingly enough, the public perception appears to be greatly mistaken.  The book that's about to come out is not nice to her, according to those who read the advance copy.  That's the second book in a row that's not exactly extolling her virtues.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Surprised? You're talking to the world's greatest Matt Ramsey fan.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Eddie Teach

In some states adultery is illegal.  :lol:

But I wish people would leave him alone just because I'm tired of hearing about it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2010, 04:34:16 AM
Because it's his private life and he did not do anything illegal?  :huh:
Misuse of campaign funds is a variety of fraud and thus illegal.

Sheilbh

His behaviour was at absolute odds with his public image - he made a deal of being the loyal husband supporting his wife with cancer, for example. 

Edit:  Also I don't like this private life stuff.
Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

Public officials are elected on the basis of character and trustworthiness as much as anything else.  If you're going to run for political office, you need to be prepared to live in a glass house.  If that elected official's judgment is that questionable in private matters, how can you trust that it'll be any more reliable in public affairs?
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 07, 2010, 10:16:28 AM

Public officials are elected on the basis of character and trustworthiness as much as anything else.  If you're going to run for political office, you need to be prepared to live in a glass house.  If that elected official's judgment is that questionable in private matters, how can you trust that it'll be any more reliable in public affairs?

Disagree. I much prefer the European culture of politics to the puritan Anglosaxon one. Public officials should be judged on the basis of one thing only: competence (including past track record in performance of the duties). Their non-office-related conduct should only matter if it involves a criminal activity and/or misuse of power.

Of course the fact that he used campaign funds etc. is another story whatsoever, but the fact that he had an extra-marital affair and a kid with his mistress should be nobody's concern.