John Edwards: "Yep, I am indeed a liar and a giant douchebag!"

Started by Caliga, January 21, 2010, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on January 27, 2010, 04:22:40 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2010, 03:31:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2010, 01:44:14 PM
Yes, but lying about a mistress is not something that would attract that kind of sanction (or any kind of sanction).
No, but paying her off from the campaign funds might.
:yes:

Like I said earlier, this is what a grand jury is currently reviewing and could land him some serious jail time.  I think that would result in him being automatically disbarred.

Hey, with any luck the sex tapes will be seized as evidence in his trial and find their way from there onto the internet.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

How would an Edwards aide come to see the video anyway?  I don't recall ever having a meeting with my boss where he showed me a sex video starring himself.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2010, 05:09:08 PM
How would an Edwards aide come to see the video anyway?  I don't recall ever having a meeting with my boss where he showed me a sex video starring himself.

Yeah, and what with your extensive experience of covering for your boss by claiming that you are the father of his children ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Yeah, point taken.  But still, how exactly did it happen.  Was he shown the video just so that he would know exactly what he's copping to?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2010, 05:39:49 PM
Yeah, point taken.  But still, how exactly did it happen.  Was he shown the video just so that he would know exactly what he's copping to?

Or Edwards was that special class of idiot who keeps it where it's "accessible" for him to watch in the office and the guy managed to find it when he was asked to run into the office for something.  There's really a lot of possibilities as to how he happened by the tape, actually.

Not sure about disbarment.  I know that a lot of states make sure a felony conviction will disqualify you from applying for membership in the bar association, but I don't know which, if any, automatically eject you for a felony.  That said, given the nature of the accusations, I think it's a fair assumption that if he's convicted, he'll be disbarred.
Experience bij!

ulmont

QuoteLater, after Hunter delivered the baby, Young and his family moved to a different home in California.

While he was unpacking, Young discovered a videocassette, according to the book pitch. Hunter had been hired by the Edwards campaign to videotape the candidate's movements, but this one is said to have shown him taking positions that weren't on his official platform.
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/06/28/2009-06-28_aides_tale_of_john_edwards_sex_tape.html

I saw another story that said he found a DVD, not a videocassette.  YMMV.

Caliga

@ Banana
If I am remembering this correctly, my dad's cousin (who is a lawyer with his own practice in York, Pa.) had a guy working for him as a paralegal who had formerly been admitted to the Pennsylvania bar.  He was convicted of something akin to spousal or child abuse--don't think it was sexual assault--and whatever it was landed him in prison and got him disbarred.  After he got the job with Robert, he had to apply for readmission and Robert served as a character witness for him.  IIRC he was readmitted.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Hey, what good would his alibi be, if he couldn't name personal details and favorite positions?!  :D

CountDeMoney

FWIW, I fully support John Edwards during these trying times.

Neil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 27, 2010, 02:09:32 PM
The insider also said that Edwards will do his best never to let it be seen, unless he needs the money.
:lol:

I would love to see the day John Edwards is so broke he's selling old sex tapes on the internet
Is there a market for unattractive old people on camera?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Joe Biden, Sarah Palin, John Edwards.  To think that all those people were vice-presidential candidates in the last 5 years.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2010, 06:57:39 PM
Joe Biden, Sarah Palin, John Edwards.  To think that all those people were vice-presidential candidates in the last 5 years.

What do you have against Biden!?

http://politics.comedy.com/2010/01/12/joe-biden-hennessy/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

The embezzlement of campaign money is bad but the rest of it - why is it even relevant? It's the guy's private life.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2010, 07:08:24 PM
The embezzlement of campaign money is bad but the rest of it - why is it even relevant? It's the guy's private life.
There is also an issue of running a campaign and soliciting donations when you know you've got a PR time bomb waiting to go off.  Not illegal, but highly inconsiderate, to say the least.