News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why does eastern europe have so many women?

Started by Josquius, January 17, 2010, 11:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

http://www.sporcle.com/games/slicingbike/sexratio

I stumbled on this quiz on sporcle and it really brings up a 'wtf' question for me.
A big answer could be men going to other countries to work but...surely the men do that too?
And the Ukraine isn't in the EU. They don't have such easy movements like the Baltics....

Anyone have a clue?

And yes. I'm booking my ticket as I type  ;)

(also as an aside- female dominant vatican? Eh? thats a turn up....I thought it was mostly male priests with very few nuns...)
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Quote from: Queequeg on January 17, 2010, 11:21:00 AM
The men die of alcoholism or suicide. 
Thats the actual answer?

I could see that being a factor in the Ukraine (why isn't Russia an answer though?) but in the Baltics too?
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Suicide is even higher in the Baltics, and Alcoholism is still a huge problem. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Siege

All the moonslim countries have more men than women.

No wonder those donkey-fuckers are willing to die for the promise of 72 virgins.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Men have a lower life expectancy (by about 10 years in a country like Poland, about 30-40 years in a country like Russia), plus men are more likely to emigrate.

C.C.R.

Q:  Why do most men die before their wives?

A:  Because they want to!

Strix

Quote from: C.C.R. on January 17, 2010, 03:44:36 PM
Q:  Why do most men die before their wives?

A:  Because they want to!

I always thought it was so the wives could get the last word.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2010, 02:27:11 PM
Men have a lower life expectancy (by about 10 years in a country like Poland, about 30-40 years in a country like Russia), plus men are more likely to emigrate.

So basically it means the genders are about equal until you get to the old population where the women dominate?  Sounds like every Western Country to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2010, 07:34:25 PM
So basically it means the genders are about equal until you get to the old population where the women dominate?  Sounds like every Western Country to me.
Not necessarily.  Younger life expectancy can also be caused by dying in your 20s from heroin overdose, mafia hit job, or unlicensed cage fighting.

Pat

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2010, 02:27:11 PM

Actually, men have an average life expectency of 59 years in Russia and women 72 years, which is a difference of 13 years, which is still substantial but nothing like 30-40. It's worth noting that the only countries with a lower life expectency for men are Iraq, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Papua New Guinea and african countries.

Interesting youtube vid on russian drinking: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBAlz1zRCC8A%26feature%3Dchannel&h=038662465ade20bb10592c167c678f0a

"It's not an alcoholic drink. It's a soft drink." (Speaking about beer)

barkdreg

I love the fact that the priest has a a little shrine with Lenin in it.

The Larch

Quote from: Pat on January 18, 2010, 01:58:54 AM
"It's not an alcoholic drink. It's a soft drink." (Speaking about beer)

Actually, there were signs in Polish buses when I first travelled there that stressed that beer was considered an alcoholic drink towards fining.  :lol: It read something like this: "No alcoholic drinks can be consumed while on the bus (this includes beer)"

Brazen

They kill off male offspring as they won't bring in any overseas prostitution money to the family.

derspiess

Quote from: Brazen on January 18, 2010, 08:33:17 AM
They kill off male offspring as they won't bring in any overseas prostitution money to the family.

:lol: Brazen wins the thread.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall