And now for something completely different...

Started by Drakken, January 18, 2010, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6992057.ece

Where was Mastro Titta when we needed him?  :mad:

QuotePope gunman Mehmet Ali Agca released from prison in Turkey

Mehmet Ali Agca, the gunman who tried to kill pope John Paul II in 1981, has been released from prison in Turkey after almost three decades behind bars.

"The release procedure has been completed," his lawyer, Yilmaz Abosoglu said outside a high-security prison near Ankara.

Agca, who spent more than 29 years in prison, was expected to be taken to a military facility and then to a hospital to renew a 2006 military hospital report which said he is not fit for obligatory military service because of "severe anti-social personality disorder".

Agca was a 23-year-old militant of the notorious far-right Grey Wolves, on the run from Turkish justice facing murder charges, when he resurfaced in Saint Peter's Square in Rome on May 13, 1981 and opened fire on the Pope as he drove to an audience in an open vehicle
Times Archive, 1981: Assassination attempt provokes shock and grief

Turkey announced today that it would seek the extradition of Mehmet Ali Agca, the right-wing extremist accused of attempting to kill the Pope

John Paul II was seriously wounded in the abdomen and Agca spent the next 19 years in Italian prisons.

He has claimed the attack was part of a divine plan and given often contradictory statements, frequently changing his story and forcing investigators to open dozens of inquiries.

Charges that the Soviet Union and then-communist Bulgaria were behind the assassination attempt were never proved.

In 2000, Italy pardoned Agca and extradited him to Turkey, where he was convicted for the murder of prominent journalist Abdi Ipekci, two armed robberies and escaping from prison, crimes all dating back to the 1970s.

There have been long-standing questions about Agca's mental health based on his frequent outbursts and claims that he was the Messiah.

In a statement distributed earlier today by his lawyer outside the prison in Sincan on the outskirts of Ankara, the Turkish capital, he raved again: "I proclaim the end of the world. All the world will be destroyed in this century. Every human being will die in this century... I am the Christ eternal."

Agca, 52, said last week that he would "answer all questions" about the murder attempt after his release. When he was arrested minutes after the attack on St Peter's Square on May 13, 1981, he claimed that he had acted alone.

In confused, often rambling testimony, he later indicated that Bulgarian agents acting on behalf of Moscow were behind the attack, but then withdrew this.

grumbler

So 19 years for unsuccessfully trying to kill the Pope, and 10 years for successfully killing a Turk?  That seems about right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

When the Messiah comes he will be insane? Why am I not surprised?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2010, 02:05:52 PM
When the Messiah comes he will be insane? Why am I not surprised?

That's probably what the members of the Sanhedrin thought when the real deal came in.  :Joos

Martinus

Well, I know the guy screw up but locking him up for 19 years for that is a bit too much, don't you think?  :rolleyes:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2010, 06:45:57 PM
Well, I know the guy screw up but locking him up for 19 years for that is a bit too much, don't you think?  :rolleyes:

What arbitrary number do you think would be appropriate for attempted murder?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habbaku on January 18, 2010, 11:23:35 PM

They should try to lock him up for life(but fail to do so).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I think he means he means the guy is being punished for failing to assassinate the Pope.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2010, 11:31:37 PM

I think he means he means the guy is being punished for failing to assassinate the Pope.

Raz understands me better than anyone else here. Should I be worried?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

If a dude had tried the same only fifteen years earlier, he would have been sentenced to death.