How many people have lived on this planet?

Started by Siege, January 15, 2010, 07:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Is there any way to get an aproximation of the number of people that have lived on Earth for the last 6000 years?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

I don't think you can get an acceptable number Siege.  You won't find a person capable of thinking it through who would start 6,000 years ago with two people, because only imbeciles accept the Jewish creation myths as fact.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

There is a school of thought, a lame one, says that the world is going to end soon because most people who would live have already lived.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 15, 2010, 07:23:19 AM
There is a school of thought, a lame one, says that the world is going to end soon because most people who would live have already lived.

I read about that.  I figured it was kind of a strange circular reasoning.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 15, 2010, 07:23:19 AM

It's not entirely unreasonable as clearly humanity has been churning out people with neither soul nor sentience for quite some time now.

What happens when ALL of them run out? Just look at Somalia or for that matter most any other african nation.

DisturbedPervert

What a terrifying subject to think about.  I think I need a drink now.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I suspect you probably *could* but only if every woman had like 50 kids, and all of those kids survived long enough to reproduce and had like 50 kids of their own.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Besides, you need to try and define personhood.  What counts as a person?  Only the genus Homo?  Homo sapiens?  Homo sapiens sapiens?

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on January 15, 2010, 08:40:23 AM
Besides, you need to try and define personhood.  What counts as a person?  Only the genus Homo?  Homo sapiens?  Homo sapiens sapiens?
Stop trying to make his head explode.  :mad:

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on January 15, 2010, 08:12:55 AM
I suspect you probably *could* but only if every woman had like 50 kids, and all of those kids survived long enough to reproduce and had like 50 kids of their own.

starting with adam and eve, with 2 surviving kids (not accounting for incest) with 20 year generations you get over 6000 years 2x10^90 people, which is a problem since there are only about 3x10^79 hydrogen atoms (90% of all atoms) in the universe.

We breed like fucking locusts...

Edit: My math was wrong, my numbers are not for 2 surviving kids but rather 4  :blush:

with 2.1 kids 20 year generations we only have 4.5 billion.

My bad.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Yeah but that doesn't account for epidemics, famine, and genocide.  I have no idea how you would model that in.

Grey Fox

The link a provided assumes, if I understand it right, 80 new birth per 1000 person.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.