News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

'Splain to me 1984?

Started by grumbler, January 15, 2010, 12:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Any prole showing signs of independent thought was liquidated IIRC. So the method of control differed, a prole was fine as long as he went down the tracks laid for him by the Party.

citizen k

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 05:39:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 05:19:32 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 05:18:37 PM
Anthem by Ayn Rand. Loads of good stuff.

:bleeding:

Best Rand book, IMO (the shortest one, too)

I'm proud to say that's the only Rand book I've ever read. I was sixteen or so when I read it and quite liked it. Unlike "1984", it ends on a hopeful note. I've also read Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We", which is a pretty good dystopian novel as well. Fahrenheit 451 is good, too.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 15, 2010, 06:36:42 PM
Any prole showing signs of independent thought was liquidated IIRC. So the method of control differed, a prole was fine as long as he went down the tracks laid for him by the Party.

Not necessarily. Proles could even say fuck off to Big Brother, nobody would take them seriously. Winston's words, not mine.

Josephus

Quote from: citizen k on January 15, 2010, 06:43:03 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 05:39:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 05:19:32 PM
Anthem by Ayn Rand. Loads of good stuff.

:bleeding:

Best Rand book, IMO (the shortest one, too)

I'm proud to say that's the only Rand book I've ever read. I was sixteen or so when I read it and quite liked it. Unlike "1984", it ends on a hopeful note. I've also read Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We", which is a pretty good dystopian novel as well. Fahrenheit 451 is good, too.

Yeah read both of those as well, though outside of that course.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on January 15, 2010, 05:04:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2010, 02:19:16 PM
I've read it several times but it is intertwined in my mind with Brave New World. :Embarrass:

My high school made us read that instead of 1984:bleeding:

One of the best courses I took at university was a course on Utiopian and Dystopian ficiton. While the Utopian stuff was crap we read some really good Dystopian ficiton including 1984, Brave New World, This Perfect Day by Ira Levin and Anthem by Ayn Rand. Loads of good stuff.

You should be thrown from a bridge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2010, 07:15:59 PM
I've read it several times but it is intertwined in my mind with Brave New World. :Embarrass:

One of the best courses I took at university was a course on Utiopian and Dystopian ficiton. While the Utopian stuff was crap we read some really good Dystopian ficiton including 1984, Brave New World, This Perfect Day by Ira Levin and Anthem by Ayn Rand. Loads of good stuff.

Why?  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 07:27:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2010, 07:15:59 PM

Why?  :(

Is Raz: a proponent of BASE jumping?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

We had to read Animal Farm instead.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on January 15, 2010, 11:38:04 PM

We read both.  Though I had read 1984 before I was assigned to read it in world novels.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: dps on January 15, 2010, 11:38:04 PM

Animal Farm isn't really about a totalitarian state, though. It's about a self-destructive mechanism of a revolution.

BuddhaRhubarb

Now I have to re-read 1984. :thumbsup: Looking for dogeared tattered copy at used bookstores later today, or tomorrow. I haven't read it since High school. I keep meaning to though. Now you guys have given me food for thought on it. thanks.
:p

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on January 16, 2010, 05:50:24 AM
Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 08:21:25 AM
What is it you teach, Grumbler?

Retarded Semantics 101?
No, I don't teach you and your buddies, you moron.  And the fact that your nation annihilated your "Semitics" does not make the rest of you "Semantics!"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

The Brain

grumbler teaches Special Ed. He makes it Special.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.