News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

'Splain to me 1984?

Started by grumbler, January 15, 2010, 12:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

So I am talking to my students this week about Castro, and how Cuba isn't totalitarian, though it is close.  I want to use Big Brother as an example of what totalitarianism is, as comparison.

Youtube is no help.  Check it out.  Lots of examples of the Apple spoof but zero examples of the thing being spoofed.

Turns out that the movie 1984 is really hard to reference   http://www.amazon.com/1984-John-Hurt/dp/B00007KQA3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1263531211&sr=1-1 shows that it is mega-expensive in original form and very expensive used.

I thought this fun to contemplate.  Who would have guessed that 1984 is really hard to access?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

With Netflix i can stream it online :nerd:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Too bad you don't teach English or you could just make them read it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The movie is 9.95 EUR on Amazon.de

Class of 1984 is 2.99.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I'm not sure if there really very many actual totalitarian governments that have actually existed.  It's very hard for the state to control every aspect of someone's life.  The Soviet Union under Stalin is one of the most well known though I think the closest was Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge.  I think Nazi Germany aspired to it but never was competent enough to achieve it.  North Korea very well may be one, but it's hard to tell because nobody really knows what goes on in that country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

£3.98 on Amazon.uk, though it is the same 2004 release selling at a discount.

I recently re-read 1984, shortly after a read of Kynaston's Austerity Britain and Orwell's Homage to Catalonia; an interesting experience as both of these times in Orwell's life influenced 1984.

Sophie Scholl

It's one of my least favorite songs off of Tina Turner's Private Dancer album.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Slargos

There are plenty of movies set in sweden, but I don't know any about Sweden per se, sorry.  :(

Grey Fox

It was awesome year, yes.

Greatest human generation is born that year. [Haven't showned it yet]
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2010, 07:18:45 AM
It was awesome year, yes.

Greatest human generation is born that year. [Haven't showned it yet]

My Idiot brother wasw born then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

What is it you teach, Grumbler?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2010, 01:46:12 AM
I'm not sure if there really very many actual totalitarian governments that have actually existed.  It's very hard for the state to control every aspect of someone's life.  The Soviet Union under Stalin is one of the most well known though I think the closest was Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge.  I think Nazi Germany aspired to it but never was competent enough to achieve it.  North Korea very well may be one, but it's hard to tell because nobody really knows what goes on in that country.
The GDR was probably more successful in that aspect than the Nazis.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 08:21:25 AM
What is it you teach, Grumbler?

Classes for the dictators of the future.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jaron

In a class I student taught on, the teacher had a "time machine" cabinet full of nostalgic shit from the 70s-90s. Not a single one of them kids understood the "88 MPH" reference on the cabinet door.  :homestar:
Winner of THE grumbler point.