News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PC: Distant Worlds (Space 4X from Matrix)

Started by Syt, January 13, 2010, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quotethe best analogy would be Europa Universalis in space

I'll wait for the patched version of the post-"Complete" expansion.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

I want a Star Trek versus Star Wars mod. 
PDH!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

This looks like a game that is going to try to be everything, and will end up not being anything interesting.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2010, 11:13:01 AM
This looks like a game that is going to try to be everything, and will end up not being anything interesting.

Well, I think it's not a game that tries to be everything. You have limited ship design, limited influence on colony development and no tactical battles, for starters.

Wargamer had a good brief look at what the game is and what it isn't:
http://www.wargamer.com/article/2839/distant-worlds-early-look-part-1
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2010, 11:16:13 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2010, 11:13:01 AM

Well, I think it's not a game that tries to be everything. You have limited ship design, limited influence on colony development and no tactical battles, for starters.

Wargamer had a good brief look at what the game is and what it isn't:
http://www.wargamer.com/article/2839/distant-worlds-early-look-part-1

Well, no, that is a promo piece from a "tester".

I hope you are right though, and I am wrong. but I've given up on hoping that someone would put out a well designed space 4x game. I don't really know why, but the genre has just been one failure after another for, well, decades.

too many developers, IMO, trying to do something amazing, and instead not getting the basics right.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martim Silva

QuoteFeatures
Truly Epic-Scale Galaxies: play in galaxies with up to 1400 star systems and 50,000 planets, moons and asteroids. Vast nebula clouds spiral out from the galactic core, shaping the distribution of star clusters in the galaxy

The more realistic one makes these space games, the less playable they become.

One will probably try to settle as many worlds as possible - size will probably be a critical factor - so I predict that, after we painstakingly create an Empire of about 100 colonized worlds that are a pain to manage and seem to be an immense span of map space, we'll find out that we only rule about 0.8% of the habitable planets in the galaxy.

Either that or, with a mid-sized Empire, we will STILL not be able to see, much less contact, a single "neighbour" by mid to late game.

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2010, 11:19:37 AM
I hope you are right though, and I am wrong.

Believe me, so do I.

I will surely not buy on release, though, since I have enough other things to do and play for the time being, but I'll keep watching how this goes post-release.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2010, 11:19:37 AMbut I've given up on hoping that someone would put out a well designed space 4x game.

Well, I had good times with GalCiv2 and still fire it up now and then, but I understand not everyone enjoyed that game, which is ok.

Space Empires 4 was fun for a while, but a bit spreadsheet-ish. Aurora looks like "Harpoon meats Dwarf Fortress in Space", and it doesn't run on this laptop due to resolution issues. Couldn't get into Swords of the Stars, didn't try Sins of a Solar Empire (just doesn't tickle me) and Lost Empires: Immortals was a huge failure.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!