News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I am not "Haitianed out" as I've been ignoring the cable news for the past 6 months. I have managed to compartmentalize it though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on January 16, 2010, 11:46:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 16, 2010, 06:46:59 AM
As hard as it might be to say this disaster may be a good thing for Haiti in the long term.  IIRC one of Haiti's problems is that it's seriously overcrowded.  So those that manage to survive the earthquake's aftermath could be looking at a bit of a higher standard of living.
In a country with around 10 million people, the loss of a hundred thousand or so won't do much to relieve overcrowding. Probably the loss of so many structures is only going to increase it.
If we're lucky disease, disorder and the upcoming civil war will cleanse larger numbers than the actual quake itself.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quotethe biscuits were stomped on, because a couple of idiots mistakenly thought they were expired. 
Clearly "beggars can't be choosers" doesn't translate into French....

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2010, 02:09:31 AM
First hand look at the docks and it doesn't look good. Man on the scene estimates it might take 6-12 months to rebuild and that meanwhile the nation will simply starve to death.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2010/01/15/candiotti.haiti.port.damage.cnn
So...take as many of them as possible to the US?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on January 16, 2010, 09:29:28 AM
See....didn't even take a week, and we're moving on already. Told you so. <_<

Now, now. That wasn't your prediction. Your prediction had to do with the location of this thread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alexandru H.

Meh... similar to Katrina...  <_<

Disaster strucks some region in which many black people live - Black people turn into thieves - the Americans send their army in order to maintain discipline

Slargos

Quote from: Alexandru H. on January 16, 2010, 03:07:23 PM

Disaster strucks some region in which many black people live - Black people turn into thieves - the Americans send their army in order to maintain discipline

Racist.  :rolleyes:

garbon

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fate

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2010, 03:13:54 PM

:rolleyes:
Indeed. The black community doesn't need a hurricane as an excuse to turn into a bunch of thieves.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2010, 11:25:26 AM
I was also Haiti'd out after seeing the report on CNN on how the UN truck giving out the biscuits was mobbed, and the biscuits were stomped on, because a couple of idiots mistakenly thought they were expired.  The truck had to make a quick getaway without unloading most of its stuff.  That place is like the Somalia of the Americas.
My sympathy took a hit when I saw a report on CNN that the tent hospital where CNN's own Sanjay Gupta was helping out had to pack up and move out of fears of nearby rioting and gun fire.

Alexandru H.

I still blame Haiti for the death of Leclerc.  :cry: Pauline deserved better...

lustindarkness

I received the oportunity to volunteer to go to Haiti, but I can't as I will be gone for a month on another operation already.  :ph34r:
I did tell them I know a few people on the internet that would gladly take my place.  ;) You all will receive your orders soon enough.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2010, 02:57:00 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 16, 2010, 09:29:28 AM
See....didn't even take a week, and we're moving on already. Told you so. <_<

Now, now. That wasn't your prediction. Your prediction had to do with the location of this thread.

Give it a couple days. And spamming this thread with off-topic discussion references to Slargos' viewpoints don't count.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."