News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

As hard as it might be to say this disaster may be a good thing for Haiti in the long term.  IIRC one of Haiti's problems is that it's seriously overcrowded.  So those that manage to survive the earthquake's aftermath could be looking at a bit of a higher standard of living.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on January 16, 2010, 06:46:59 AM
As hard as it might be to say this disaster may be a good thing for Haiti in the long term.  IIRC one of Haiti's problems is that it's seriously overcrowded.  So those that manage to survive the earthquake's aftermath could be looking at a bit of a higher standard of living.
I rather doubt it.  There's no incentive to build a civilization in Haiti.  All those who are ambitious go to better places, which is pretty much anywhere.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

How long does it take to reproduce enough to replace the lost? A few years at most?

CountDeMoney

I don't know about you guys, but I'm all Haitianed out.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2010, 08:21:00 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm all Haitianed out.
I've avoided the media for the last week.  Unfortunately, today and tomorrow are football days, which means all sorts of asides and commercials relating to that shitty country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

See....didn't even take a week, and we're moving on already. Told you so. <_<
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Slargos

Quote from: Josephus on January 16, 2010, 09:29:28 AM
See....didn't even take a week, and we're moving on already. Told you so. <_<

Racist.  :rolleyes:

katmai

Slargy we already know that about you, no need to come in thread and remind us.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Slargos

Quote from: katmai on January 16, 2010, 10:01:26 AM
Slargy we already know that about you, no need to come in thread and remind us.

:lol:

I know you are, but what am I?

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on January 16, 2010, 07:06:51 AM

I rather doubt it.  There's no incentive to build a civilization in Haiti.  All those who are ambitious go to better places, which is pretty much anywhere.

The papers this morning were mentioning that Canada is considering loosening its immigratio restrictions to facilitate the reunification of 'families' (aka tribes) on humanitarian grounds...  Now it's not only the 'middle-class' professionals and intellectuals we'll be taking in - it's the dirt poor whose habits will be carried over as well.  I expect more sectors of Montreal to be morphed into shantytowns.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josephus

Quote from: Grallon on January 16, 2010, 11:06:00 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 16, 2010, 07:06:51 AM

The papers this morning were mentioning that Canada is considering loosening its immigratio restrictions to facilitate the reunification of 'families' (aka tribes) on humanitarian grounds...  Now it's not only the 'middle-class' professionals and intellectuals we'll be taking in - it's the dirt poor whose habits will be carried over as well.  I expect more sectors of Montreal to be morphed into shantytowns.  <_<

G.

Wonder if we'd be doing this if it was any other 3rd world country other than Haiti, given our ties to it?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

I was also Haiti'd out after seeing the report on CNN on how the UN truck giving out the biscuits was mobbed, and the biscuits were stomped on, because a couple of idiots mistakenly thought they were expired.  The truck had to make a quick getaway without unloading most of its stuff.  That place is like the Somalia of the Americas.

Grallon

Quote from: Josephus on January 16, 2010, 11:15:28 AM

Wonder if we'd be doing this if it was any other 3rd world country other than Haiti, given our ties to it?

The Head of State is from Haiti (one of the aforementioned Diaspora of intellectuals and professionals), the haitian communities are large in Ontario and Quebec and I suspect Harper is playing a humanitarian card to have us all forget his usual indifference in such matters as well as to deviate attention from his contemptuous prorogation of Parliement.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2010, 11:25:26 AMthe biscuits were stomped on, because a couple of idiots mistakenly thought they were expired. 

:lol:

What?  They were destroying food because they thought it was expired?  Would they rather go back to eating dirt cookies?

alfred russel

In a country with around 10 million people, the loss of a hundred thousand or so won't do much to relieve overcrowding. Probably the loss of so many structures is only going to increase it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014