News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on January 13, 2010, 07:19:03 AM
Oh, it was Haiti, all I saw was an earthquake somewhere on the news and was worried it might have been a real country which matters.
So.
err...
What more is there to say. Earthquakes bad.
:huh: Strange way to look at it; an Earthquake in a real country wouldn't do much damage unless it was a once in the century 8.something. Earthquake in Hati or anyother third world disaster means thousands dead.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

7.0 can do massive damage anywhere.  A 6.8 in Japan in 95 killed over 6000 people.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2010, 10:57:07 AM
Oh, it was Haiti, all I saw was an earthquake somewhere on the news and was worried it might have been a real country which matters.
So.
err...
:huh: Strange way to look at it; an Earthquake in a real country wouldn't do much damage unless it was a once in the century 8.something. Earthquake in Hati or anyother third world disaster means thousands dead.

What I think Tyr was hinting at was that no one cares if a couple of thousand mud people die in a natural disaster (especially since there's plenty more where that came from), while it's a big problem if educated people with souls bite the big one.

Gambrinus

Quote from: Tamas on January 13, 2010, 05:17:31 AM
we need to stop global warming
First the tsunami in Asia, then this, Al Gore was right all the time  :(

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on January 13, 2010, 11:38:04 AM
So.
err...

What I think Tyr was hinting at was that no one cares if a couple of thousand mud people die in a natural disaster (especially since there's plenty more where that came from), while it's a big problem if educated people with souls bite the big one.
Ah, but we expect vile racism from you, not from Tyr.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: Slargos on January 13, 2010, 11:38:04 AMmud people
:huh:
They are already incredibly desperate.  If anything, a normal person would feel even worse for them.  Even if Haiti has made a lot of poor decisions, I don't think any nation deserves to be leveled with such a devastating earthquake. 

Also, you are a fantastically racist fuck and I hope you die in a fire.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Fate

Let's send Quee to Haiti to save the negros from themselves.

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2010, 11:50:48 AM
Quote from: Slargos on January 13, 2010, 11:38:04 AM
So.
err...

Ah, but we expect vile racism from you, not from Tyr.

Is it really racism to not care about a bunch of dead third worlders, or is it that you're just so used to not thinking about it that you don't identify it as racism until someone like me vocalizes it?

Slargos

Quote from: Queequeg on January 13, 2010, 11:58:26 AM
Quote from: Slargos on January 13, 2010, 11:38:04 AMmud people
:huh:
They are already incredibly desperate.  If anything, a normal person would feel even worse for them.  Even if Haiti has made a lot of poor decisions, I don't think any nation deserves to be leveled with such a devastating earthquake. 

Also, you are a fantastically racist fuck and I hope you die in a fire.   

So other than my use of racist nomenclature when I stipulated my hypothesis, how is what I said racist?

Most people don't care about dead third worlders, and still don't consider themselves racist, you don't need to look longer than this board.

As for wishing for my death, I think that makes you a pretty horrible person in your own right, but since you feel a sense of moral superiority when you make that judgement you probably don't even see it.  :hug:

Caliga

I feel kinda bad about making a joke post earlier, as apparently the level of destruction there is quite phenomenal.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

You guys are acting like somehow Haitians choose to be Haitians.  Or be affected by an earthquake.  Or that thousands of people didn't just die.

So other than my use of racist nomenclature when I stipulated my hypothesis, how is what I said racist?
:lmfao:
So other than the fact that I'm a racist, how am I a racist?!
you don't need to look longer than this board.
We are usually a callous bunch, but I think most people have their limits.  Even Neil was pissed off during the Beslan massacre, for instance. 

As for wishing for my death, I think that makes you a pretty horrible person in your own right, but since you feel a sense of moral superiority when you make that judgement you probably don't even see it.
Actually, I think dying in a fire is probably preferable to dying with hundreds of your friends and family in an earthquake.  I'm better than you because I care if innocents are affected, even if they are Scandinavians.   :)
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2010, 06:06:46 AM
Looks like the bodies of the dead and injured are just stacked up in the street. It's hard to tell the scale of the damage because I haven't seen an aerial view (airports control tower was damaged), but I wouldn't be surprised if the deaths toped 10k in this one. :(
gov' says 100 000 so far.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 13, 2010, 06:59:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2010, 11:06:40 PM
Swell, more Haitians washing up on Floridian shores.

:huh: They all come here.
only the poor, the uneducated, the singers&the writers (wich is the same really).  The rest will go to Florida, then move up to New York.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Queequeg

Quote from: viper37 on January 13, 2010, 01:41:52 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2010, 06:06:46 AM
Looks like the bodies of the dead and injured are just stacked up in the street. It's hard to tell the scale of the damage because I haven't seen an aerial view (airports control tower was damaged), but I wouldn't be surprised if the deaths toped 10k in this one. :(
gov' says 100 000 so far.
JESUS CHRIST! How the fuck is that possible in such a tiny country?
Especially sad as Haiti has seen the first half decade of sanity and growth in a long, long time.

IIRC there was an Economist Podcast about the danger of mudslides and earthquakes to Haiti's growth sometime last year, seems rather prescient in retrospect.