Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: katmai on January 13, 2010, 08:25:36 PM
Quote from: Slargos on January 13, 2010, 08:11:05 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2010, 08:07:59 PM
Stay classy, Slargos.

:lol:

Seriously. I'm curious to hear how not caring about the fates of people on the other side of the globe constitutes racism.

Maybe when you phrase it thusly you retarded ass

QuoteWhat I think Tyr was hinting at was that no one cares if a couple of thousand mud people die in a natural disaster (especially since there's plenty more where that came from), while it's a big problem if educated people with souls bite the big one.

Yeah, I never exaggerate for effect.  :homestar:

jimmy olsen

CNN.com has some "good" videos.

One's an interview with a UT graduate and at the end Wolf asks him if from his observations whether he thinks the Prime Minister's estimate is credible, and he said that was a minimum that it could be multiple hundreds of thousands.  :(

Lets hope it looks worse than it is.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Fireblade on January 13, 2010, 06:51:13 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/pat-robertson-haiti-curse_n_422099.html

Goddamned Republican televangelist DOUCHEBAG.
Fixed.  :)

Robertson and his ilk use stuff like this to get attention.  If he had just said "those poor Haitians, I'm praying for them" then he wouldn't have generated a news story that will generate more interest in him and possibly result in more donations from lunatics.  He's nothing but a businessman who sells air to gullible people.  I would be shocked if the guy actually believes in God.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Apparently there's only one hospital left standing in Port-au-Prince.

Also the prison was destroyed so the survivors escaped.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2010, 08:54:15 PM
Quote from: Fireblade on January 13, 2010, 06:51:13 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/pat-robertson-haiti-curse_n_422099.html

Goddamned Republican televangelist DOUCHEBAG.
Fixed.  :)

Robertson and his ilk use stuff like this to get attention.  If he had just said "those poor Haitians, I'm praying for them" then he wouldn't have generated a news story that will generate more interest in him and possibly result in more donations from lunatics.  He's nothing but a businessman who sells air to gullible people.  I would be shocked if the guy actually believes in God.
Yeah.  I already see the outrage on the Facebook.  The man was all but jumping up and down screaming, "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" for godsakes. 
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: Slargos on January 13, 2010, 08:11:05 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2010, 08:07:59 PM
Stay classy, Slargos.

Seriously. I'm curious to hear how not caring about the fates of people on the other side of the globe constitutes racism.

I just want to point out that whilst I agreed with Slargos' original premise that ultimately the world doesn't give as much of a shit as if the same earthquake happens in New York or London; I do want to distance myself from everything else Slargos has said in this and probably other threads.

Thank you.

:ph34r:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Capetan Mihali

I love when people pat themselves on the back for just throwing up their hands and declaring the blatantly obvious: "This is the status quo!" 

No shit, people in North America and Europe would care more if this happened in a developed country.   :hmm:  This is not a very insightful or helpful contribution. 

And I do believe that the effort to attain some level of empathy for the suffering of even "third world" people is not reducible an exercise in PC guilt tripping or whatever else the self-declared realists of the privileged world would call it.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on January 13, 2010, 01:39:13 PM
Even Neil was pissed off during the Beslan massacre, for instance. 
Pseudo-whites were being killed by Islamiacs.

Besides, it's hard to feel for people who are so much less than me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 13, 2010, 02:37:00 PM
You cannot hug a child with nuclear weapons (or an aircraft carrier).

No, but you can generate 400,000+ gallons of potable water a day with one, which is what they need immediately.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 13, 2010, 09:16:02 PM
I love when people pat themselves on the back for just throwing up their hands and declaring the blatantly obvious: "This is the status quo!" 

No shit, people in North America and Europe would care more if this happened in a developed country.   :hmm:  This is not a very insightful or helpful contribution. 

And I do believe that the effort to attain some level of empathy for the suffering of even "third world" people is not reducible an exercise in PC guilt tripping or whatever else the self-declared realists of the privileged world would call it.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 13, 2010, 09:16:02 PM

No shit, people in North America and Europe would care more if this happened in a developed country.   :hmm:  This is not a very insightful or helpful contribution. 

This'll turn out to be as big, if not bigger, an international relief operation than the Tsunami.
This will be the world's finest humanitarian hour.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2010, 10:05:38 PM

This'll turn out to be as big, if not bigger, an international relief operation than the Tsunami.

And are you doing anything to help?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

14 UN relief workers confirmed dead.  150 more mission, including the mission director.

It's like starting from scratch.  There's nobody on the ground to coordinate.  Infrastructure is just gone.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on January 13, 2010, 10:06:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2010, 10:05:38 PM

And are you doing anything to help?

Yes.