News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL 2010: Because it's never to f'ing early

Started by CountDeMoney, January 11, 2010, 10:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: katmai on March 01, 2010, 09:08:24 PM
He's touted as top of first round pick, except for his possible "character" issues.

He's kinda slow too, I guess.  Not like...Tim Tebow slow or something, but for a WR, he's on the slow side.  Dude has glue hands though, and is really shifty.  And he's big.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 28, 2010, 06:05:32 PM
Anyone watching the combine?  Jahvid Best and CJ Spiller both ran sub 4.4 40's.   Jacoby Ford is also hilariously fast (4.28).
Those times are fraudulent, do I really have to say it every year?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 01, 2010, 09:23:39 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2010, 09:19:08 PM
Those times are fraudulent, do I really have to say it every year?

:huh:

Well, in Timmay's defense--sort of--they're not exactly game situation times.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2010, 09:26:52 PM

No, they're obviously not.  They're just another way to measure these guys and fill in a box on some piece of paper somewhere they can look at between eyeballing tape and the other filled out boxes.  I don't understand how they're "fraudulent" though.   

I mean...I know CJ Spiller and Jahvid Best are both fast as fuck in pads too.  This just puts an actual number on "fast as fuck."

Neil

See:  Darrius Heyward-Bey.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on March 01, 2010, 09:33:07 PM
See:  Darius Heyward-Bey.

Exactly.  Combine is like checking the teeth at the Derby.  Put some pads on and hit some shit.  Then let's see your time.

Or, in the immortal words of Coach Billick, when questioned about Terrell Suggs' "subpar" 40-yard time at the combine: "If quarterback drops start going to 40 yards, then we're going to be concerned."

jimmy olsen

Every year I post an article detailing how the times are not scientifically test and aren't legitimate.

Usually I just look for the article in an old thread, but that might not work this time because of the switch.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2010, 09:36:35 PM
See:  Darius Heyward-Bey.

Exactly.  Combine is like checking the teeth at the Derby.  Put some pads on and hit some shit.  Then let's see your time.

Or, in the immortal words of Coach Billick, when questioned about Terrell Suggs' "subpar" 40-yard time at the combine: "If quarterback drops start going to 40 yards, then we're going to be concerned."

Did Heyward-Bey become slow at some point?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 01, 2010, 09:39:47 PM

Yes he did.  He's been slow in developing the concept of "ball".  You know, like the ones thrown at him.

katmai

Renaldo Nehemiah bitches!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on March 01, 2010, 09:43:03 PM

Renaldo Nehemiah bitches!

Willie Gault motherfucker!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2010, 09:41:39 PM

Yes he did.  He's been slow in developing the concept of "ball".  You know, like the ones thrown at him.

Well yeah, everyone except apparently Al Davis knew he had two cinder blocks for hands.  Speed/explosiveness wasn't his problem though, which is what the 40 measures.

Speaking of 40 times, I wonder what Schaub's was, or if he even bothered to run it.  That guy is incredibly slow (Peyton Manning sometimes actually looks faster when he runs around).  When he "takes off," it's like one dude is moving in slomo out there while everyone else is flying around.  :lol:

Edit:
Quote from: TimEvery year I post an article detailing how the times are not scientifically test and aren't legitimate.

Usually I just look for the article in an old thread, but that might not work this time because of the switch.

That's great and all that its not super scientific, but you can have them run it and see if they're capable of hauling ass or not.  Yeah, everyone knew Spiller and Best were fast, now they have a number for it to go along with everything else out there.   If one of them had run a 5.0 or something, with their mantits flapping around nearly hitting them in the face (who was that guy last year or the year before? Some OL, I think.  That was some funny stuff), some questions would be asked.  It's just a measurement, you don't need to get all worked up that it's not ultra accurate. 

Hey, look at Heyward-Bey, who was incorrectly mentioned as being an example of the 40 not working.  He ran a fast 40, and he is fast in pads.  He also can't catch and is stupid, and all that showed at the combine and on his tapes, etc.  His 40 time accurately showed that he was a fast runner, etc.  It didn't show the other stuff because that's not what it's for.  The fact that it might be off by a bit doesn't mean shit.  He's fast, his time was fast.  It works.  Hooray.

Al Davis gave no fucks about the catching part I guess because YOU CAN'T TEACH SPEED :aldavis:.  Everyone who was sane wasn't going to look at the guy until several of the other WRs (who was it...Crabtree, Maclin, and a couple other dudes IIRC) were taken regardless of his 40 time.

Edit:  Well I guess if they can't even figure out how to run the 40, it can be a good way of showing they're stupid.  Breathing would probably be difficult for someone like that too though.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Mentally?  Always.

He's just not a very good NFL player.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.