News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawtalkers and NFL fans: to this thread!

Started by CountDeMoney, January 11, 2010, 09:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 12:33:15 PM
I don't think you can judge the success of a league based on how much it pays its players, by the way.  The NFL is not successful merely because it pays its players millions of dollars.
It's a good start.  Pro leagues are in the business of making money.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2011, 04:55:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 12:33:15 PM
I don't think you can judge the success of a league based on how much it pays its players, by the way.  The NFL is not successful merely because it pays its players millions of dollars.
It's a good start.  Pro leagues are in the business of making money.

And high player salaries are a good way to lose money.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 05:50:27 PM
Sure, if you own a CFL team.  For most leagues high salaries are a reflection of high revenues.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2011, 05:52:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 05:50:27 PM
Sure, if you own a CFL team.  For most leagues high salaries are a reflection of high revenues.

You should talk to the Phoenix Coyotes about that. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Alcibiades

Welp, football as we know it is over.

Prior to "Decertification"-Litigation-Lockout, perhaps the most polarizing topic in NFL circles was the league's more stringent emphasis on illegal hits in 2010 even if players repeatedly bucked against their enforcement while claiming it remained unclear what constituted a legal vs. an illegal hit.

They better figure it out for the 2011 season (assuming it's played, of course), because flagrant hits will likely be drawing suspensions in addition to those heavy fines.

"Frankly, now that the notice has been given, players and coaches and clubs are very aware of what the emphasis is and we won't have that hesitation," said NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson, who didn't suspend any players in 2010 for illegal hits, on Wednesday.

"Everyone will be very clearly on notice now that a suspension is very viable for us and we will exercise it ... when it comes to illegal hits to the head and neck area and to defenseless players."

Defenseless players will now be classified as:

A quarterback in the act of throwing
A receiver trying to catch a pass

A runner already in the grasp of tacklers and having his forward progress stopped
A player fielding a punt or a kickoff
A kicker or punter during the kick
A quarterback at any time after change of possession
A receiver who receives a blind-side block
A player already on the ground
"We want to be much more clear on what can be a suspendable incident," said Anderson

"The emphasis is on head and neck hits and what a defenseless player is. And we will work hard that people understand what is a repeat offender and what is a flagrant foul."

The competition committee is also mulling changes to kickoffs and proposes moving them up to the 35-yard line to curb injuries on the play. Other changes -- which will be up for discussion at next week's owners meetings in New Orleans -- could include making all scoring plays reviewable from a booth official without a coach's challenge and the elimination of a third coach's challenge even if he is successful on his first two challenges in a game

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/03/nfl-suspensions-coming-next-season-for-illegal-hits/1
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

jimmy olsen

What the...

The new rules can't be that all encompassing can they?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Why not just say 'A quarterback.  Ever.  Seriously, we'll suspend you for looking at these guys wrong.'

Then again, we're just talking head hits.  You were already playing with fire when you hit a QB in the head.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

I don't think any of those are new rules, just a clarification of what a defenseless player is.  The only questionable one is the "A quarterback at any time after change of possession", but I can't really argue with that one.

Sophie Scholl

Sooo... at this point we might as well tune into the Lingerie Bowl/League since the NFL is aiming for the same rules.  At least the players in the Lingerie Bowl/League make good eye candy.

Side note:  Go Riders! :Canuck:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Those rules are gay.

Then again, Hines Ward has now lost his reason to live.

Ed Anger

I assume Tom Brady will keep his ability to call for penalties (and get them) when a defensive player gets within 5 feet of him.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Strix

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2011, 07:08:13 AM
I assume Tom Brady will keep his ability to call for penalties (and get them) when a defensive player gets within 5 feet of him.

I have heard they are giving him a pink flag to throw to indicate a penalty should be called.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2011, 06:53:50 AM
Those rules are gay.

Does it say something about blindsiding DBs in the head?  If anything, he's happy now because he can deliver his cheapshots without fear of retribution.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2011, 06:53:50 AM
Those rules are gay.

Well duh, once you win a couple Superbowls it's hard to find new lofty goals.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

HVC

So basically they're making it a non-contact sport.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.