News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Harry Reid Catches Shit for Negro Remark

Started by Admiral Yi, January 11, 2010, 06:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Just saw this on CNN, no link.  It came out in some book that Reid said Obama should run for president and would win because he is "a light skinned negro" who doesn't speak "in negro dialect," "except when he wants to."  (Very last part cracked me up.)

Obama has come out strongly in support of Reid, as have all the important Democratic negroes.  No lasting political damage, just a fun little story.

Sheilbh

To be fair this is not unlike the argument John McWhorter made a number of times during the campaign.
Let's bomb Russia!

Fate

Was there anything factually incorrect about his statement?  :hmm:

Razgovory

Same book claimed that Sarah Palin didn't know the difference between North and South Korea.  Apparently she was chosen by searching online for female candidates.  Her background was one lawyer checking the net.  I suspect it was Barrister.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2010, 02:51:30 AM
Same book claimed that Sarah Palin didn't know the difference between North and South Korea.  Apparently she was chosen by searching online for female candidates.  Her background was one lawyer checking the net.  I suspect it was Barrister.

I'm pretty sure he knew who she was before this.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Faeelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2010, 12:32:24 AM
To be fair this is not unlike the argument John McWhorter made a number of times during the campaign.

You can't say Negro! There is a double standard! This is just as offensive as wishing that Thurmond had won in 1948, to avoid all those "problems". Whatever those "problems" are.

Or at least that's the GOP's stance.

Josquius

Most of the fuss I'm seeing seems to about Clinton which is really wtf stuff, "A few years ago he'd be making us coffee", what kind of idiot saw that as racist? Pretty obviously just agist.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Same book claimed that Sarah Palin didn't know the difference between North and South Korea. 

Her and Ide both.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on January 12, 2010, 02:53:24 AM

I'm pretty sure he knew who she was before this.

:smarty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Cool, another Dem gets on the "Exempt" list.  Thought it was gonna be one short whenever Byrd kicked the bucket.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

After that he should be happy he was not forced to resign.  Why he wasn't is a mystery to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 12:44:29 PM
After that he should be happy he was not forced to resign.  Why he wasn't is a mystery to me.

Given the fact that they are on a mission to save the country with their healthcare reform, the Dems decided it would be less disruptive to leave him in & do what they can to suppress the story.  And it will probably work.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2010, 12:48:40 PM
Given the fact that they are on a mission to save the country with their healthcare reform, the Dems decided it would be less disruptive to leave him in & do what they can to suppress the story.  And it will probably work.

The Senate already saved America so they can go ahead and unlead Reid then :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Faeelin

Why should he be? Because he said negro?

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on January 12, 2010, 12:50:40 PM

Why should he be? Because he said negro?

Are you shitting me?  I mean saying the word negro is pretty bad but the substance of the statement was pretty racist as well.