News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Harry Reid Catches Shit for Negro Remark

Started by Admiral Yi, January 11, 2010, 06:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 12:53:00 PM
Why should he be? Because he said negro?

Are you shitting me?  I mean saying the word negro is pretty bad but the substance of the statement was pretty racist as well.
[/quote]

Actually, I don't think the substance was necessarily racist-- I thought it was generally accepted that Obama was not "too black" to be a successful candidate but that he was sufficiently so to get the black community fully behind him.  It may or may not say something negative about U.S. society as a whole, but IMO that's a fairly objective statement.

It was all in the delivery.  Who says "negro" any more, anyway.  I think my grandma even stopped using the word at some point before she died.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 12:53:00 PM
Are you shitting me?  I mean saying the word negro is pretty bad but the substance of the statement was pretty racist as well.

You think it's racist to suggest Americans wouldn't elect Obama is he sounded or looked like Al Sharpton?

The Brain

Who is the blackest living American anyway? The Gangsta of Golf Tiger Woods?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on January 12, 2010, 01:05:29 PM
Who is the blackest living American anyway? The Gangsta of Golf Tiger Woods?

CdM during the summer months.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2010, 12:34:42 PM
Cool, another Dem gets on the "Exempt" list.  Thought it was gonna be one short whenever Byrd kicked the bucket.
He said something offensive, that's all.  Lott seemed to suggest that the continuation of segregation (possibly its intensification) would have been a good thing and have avoided 'those' problems.  Those are two very different things.  It's the difference, say, between making a remark about Hillary only getting where she is because of her husband with a slightly sexist term and suggesting that actually Hillary's indicative of the 'problems' you have once you give women the vote.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on January 12, 2010, 01:04:08 PM
You think it's racist to suggest Americans wouldn't elect Obama is he sounded or looked like Al Sharpton?

I would say it is more what Al Sharpton said that made him not viable rather than what he looked or sounded like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 01:56:45 PM
I would say it is more what Al Sharpton said that made him not viable rather than what he looked or sounded like.
I disagree.  They all matter.

I'd add that I agree with McWhorter that from my exposure to Americans a 'black accent' isn't any longer just a racial thing it's an age thing.  Either younger generations don't care about the racial element or, I think this is more likely, aspects of black culture have become so tied to big bits of youth culture that what an old white man like Reid hears as a 'black accent' is increasingly an accent that all young Americans have or can have.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2010, 01:59:32 PM
I'd add that I agree with McWhorter that from my exposure to Americans a 'black accent' isn't any longer just a racial thing it's an age thing.  Either younger generations don't care about the racial element or, I think this is more likely, aspects of black culture have become so tied to big bits of youth culture that what an old white man like Reid hears as a 'black accent' is increasingly an accent that all young Americans have or can have.

Clearly that exposure was limited. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2010, 01:56:43 PM
Cool, another Dem gets on the "Exempt" list.  Thought it was gonna be one short whenever Byrd kicked the bucket.
He said something offensive, that's all.  Lott seemed to suggest that the continuation of segregation (possibly its intensification) would have been a good thing and have avoided 'those' problems.  Those are two very different things.  It's the difference, say, between making a remark about Hillary only getting where she is because of her husband with a slightly sexist term and suggesting that actually Hillary's indicative of the 'problems' you have once you give women the vote.
That's the spin but I'm not sure I buy it. Reid's comments could be spun as well, while Lott's comments could be said to be merely a compliment to an old, retiring Senator. Kind of depends on how someone wants to pursue the issue, or make a political agenda. Also, the Bush admin didn't stand up for Lott, possibly because Lott had a lot of clout and wasn't so easy to work with. Getting rid of Lott took some of Bush's Repub opponents down a notch. That's what was being discussed about that today on one of the news shows. Here, Obama is supporting Reid, certainly part of that is due to needing Reid to push the health care and other bills. And both Reid and Obama called for Lott to resign over his comments. So now I say they need to live up to the same ideals. They and other Dems didn't feel Lott should remain as leader with a tarnished reputation. Same could go for Reid since we're playing that game, and the Repubs are making a lot more out of this.

I'd rather see this hyper sensitivity over Racial issues end. We drive ourselves nuts about hyping up some of these issues, while there are legitimate issues still. But since the hype still rears its ugly head when the "wrong" type person says something, then everyone should pay the same price, I guess. Maybe that way, as we see how insidious and damaging it is, we'll start to come to our senses over this hyper sensitivity.

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on January 12, 2010, 02:28:44 PM
That's the spin but I'm not sure I buy it. Reid's comments could be spun as well, while Lott's comments could be said to be merely a compliment to an old, retiring Senator. Kind of depends on how someone wants to pursue the issue, or make a political agenda.
I'm sorry but I'm not spinning and I think this is bullshit.  Enoch Powell was a great MP, a great Parliamentarian and a very intelligent man.  I can say all of that and compliment an old politician.  When I say that maybe we should have listened to his 'rivers of blood' speech to avoid a lot of problems over the last 40 years I'm straying into very different territory.  I'm not complimenting the man but seeming to endorse his racist agenda 40 years ago, that's what Lott did.

QuoteSo now I say they need to live up to the same ideals. They and other Dems didn't feel Lott should remain as leader with a tarnished reputation. Same could go for Reid since we're playing that game, and the Repubs are making a lot more out of this.
When Reid tries to suggest the continuation and possible strengthening of segregation would be a good idea then I think they're on a level playing field.  Reid's statement seems to me to be at 'Obama the magic negro' level of offensiveness.  That is nowhere near what Lott said.

QuoteI'd rather see this hyper sensitivity over Racial issues end. We drive ourselves nuts about hyping up some of these issues, while there are legitimate issues still. But since the hype still rears its ugly head when the "wrong" type person says something, then everyone should pay the same price, I guess. Maybe that way, as we see how insidious and damaging it is, we'll start to come to our senses over this hyper sensitivity.
History doesn't end.  After several hundred years of slavery and both legally enforced and sort-of informal segregation being present throughout the US within living memory I think asking for an end to 'hyper sensitivity' is, frankly, insensitive - not to mention impossible.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Asking for an end to hypersensitivity is almost tautologically a reasonable request.  Whether this story or the Lott story are examples of hypersensitivity is another question.

KRonn

Sheilbh, I'm not saying your spinning. You're trying to be reasonable, as are most of us anyway. I'm saying that the groups finding excuses for Reid, his party faithful, NAACP and/or other groups is some spin. They may believe it, or not and just be trying to support someone who they feel is more supportive of their views, same party or what ever. But that gets close to or is a double standard, and is worrisome. As we see them being called on it.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2010, 12:58:45 PM
It was all in the delivery.  Who says "negro" any more, anyway.  I think my grandma even stopped using the word at some point before she died.

If she kept usining after her death, it might have been newsworthy.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on January 12, 2010, 02:28:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2010, 01:56:43 PM
That's the spin but I'm not sure I buy it. Reid's comments could be spun as well, while Lott's comments could be said to be merely a compliment to an old, retiring Senator. Kind of depends on how someone wants to pursue the issue, or make a political agenda. Also, the Bush admin didn't stand up for Lott, possibly because Lott had a lot of clout and wasn't so easy to work with. Getting rid of Lott took some of Bush's Repub opponents down a notch. That's what was being discussed about that today on one of the news shows. Here, Obama is supporting Reid, certainly part of that is due to needing Reid to push the health care and other bills. And both Reid and Obama called for Lott to resign over his comments. So now I say they need to live up to the same ideals. They and other Dems didn't feel Lott should remain as leader with a tarnished reputation. Same could go for Reid since we're playing that game, and the Repubs are making a lot more out of this.

I'd rather see this hyper sensitivity over Racial issues end. We drive ourselves nuts about hyping up some of these issues, while there are legitimate issues still. But since the hype still rears its ugly head when the "wrong" type person says something, then everyone should pay the same price, I guess. Maybe that way, as we see how insidious and damaging it is, we'll start to come to our senses over this hyper sensitivity.

The Bush administration didn't stand of for Lot because they were actively pushing for him step down.  They wanted their own guy in that spot (Frisk).  Democrats had nothing to do with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Oh you poor babies. :console:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017