And we're back!

Main Menu

Dialects and languages dying in Texas

Started by Valmy, January 11, 2010, 04:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: dps on January 11, 2010, 08:38:06 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 11, 2010, 07:21:17 PM
I am concerned about the near extinction of Breton and Cornish.  The rest can be fucked for all Mb cares.

Cornish has been extinct since the 18th century or so.  It's anybody's guess how many people still speak Breton, since there are no language stats for France that have any real claim to accuracy.

Regional languages are not opposed anymore  in France (part of the French cultural legacy according to the Constitution nowadays) so an often seen figure of 200.000 speakers makes sense, even if estimates range between 6,000 and 350,000  :P

Caliga

How DARE you people be so dismissive of Texas Sorbian!  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2010, 08:38:23 AM
Regional languages are not opposed anymore  in France (part of the French cultural legacy according to the Constitution nowadays) so an often seen figure of 200.000 speakers makes sense.

In what sense are they speakers?  From what I understood in my time in France Provencal was a bit of joke.  Nobody knew a word yet all the signs were required to be in both French and Provencal for some sort of misguided cultural reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

syk

Quote from: Caliga on January 12, 2010, 08:39:18 AM
Who'd have thought there's such a thing: awesome!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 08:47:19 AM
Regional languages are not opposed anymore  in France (part of the French cultural legacy according to the Constitution nowadays) so an often seen figure of 200.000 speakers makes sense.

In what sense are they speakers?  From what I understood in my time in France Provencal was a bit of joke.  Nobody knew a word yet all the signs were required to be in both French and Provencal for some sort of misguided cultural reason.

Speaking and understanding the above mentioned language ;) that does not mean they only speak Breton. Nearly all are bilingual.
Only West Brittany btw, has Breton speakers.
As for Provençal or Occitan, its situation is much worse than Breton (no Diwan schools for  Provençal). Alsatian used to be pretty strong but the youth seems to lose it for instance.

Viking

Quote from: dps on January 11, 2010, 08:38:06 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 11, 2010, 07:21:17 PM
I am concerned about the near extinction of Breton and Cornish.  The rest can be fucked for all Mb cares.

Cornish has been extinct since the 18th century or so.  It's anybody's guess how many people still speak Breton, since there are no language stats for France that have any real claim to accuracy.

Regional languages are not opposed anymore  in France (part of the French cultural legacy according to the Constitution nowadays) so an often seen figure of 200.000 speakers makes sense, even if estimates range between 6,000 and 350,000  :P

When I go to France I always try speaking German first.. the Frenchies seem to learn english pretty quickly when I do that.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: syk on January 12, 2010, 09:28:31 AM

In Texas Europeans would immigrate here and set up their own autonomous communities where English speaking was virtually unheard of for generations.  It gets weirder because most of these communities were set up after revolutions in the 1830s and 1840s (particularly 1848 obviously) and stayed in a kind of cultural and linguistic limbo cut off from the rest of the world for 80 years or so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

syk

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 09:47:55 AM

In Texas Europeans would immigrate here and set up their own autonomous communities where English speaking was virtually unheard of for generations.  It gets weirder because most of these communities were set up after revolutions in the 1830s and 1840s (particularly 1848 obviously) and stayed in a kind of cultural and linguistic limbo cut off from the rest of the world for 80 years or so.
Nice to have these cultural time machines. The DDR preserved Sorbian culture an language in Lusatia after the Reich tried to eradicate it. They have their own schools, bilingual signs and whatnot. Stumbled upon it years ago when I had to take a two weeks course in that area for my civilian service.
I'm sort of a fan because Sorbian is the closest living relative of the eradicated language "my tribe" spoke (dravaenopolabic).

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on January 12, 2010, 08:39:18 AM
Yep, no joke.  :cool:  IIRC the Texas Sorbian settlement area is centered on a town called (unsurprisingly) Brandenburg, Texas.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

I know about 1,200-1,500 words of English.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eochaid

I highly doubt there are 200K fluent Breton speakers. 200K that can utter at least a few words, fine (I know about 20 words in Breton :p), but the vast majority of those 200K would be people who can say hello, goodbye and thank you

Kevin
It's been a while

Valmy

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 09:47:55 AM

That was normal throughout the rural US well into the 20th Century - My maternal Grandfather first heard English as a 5 year old, even though he was born in Minnesota.  His family was Norwegian, and the neighboring farms were Swedish and German.  He said he just thought that they spoke weird Norwegian.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr