News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dialects and languages dying in Texas

Started by Valmy, January 11, 2010, 04:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 11, 2010, 05:05:56 PM
That's a bit overly critical, Slargos. Whites have a future in Texas, as well as hispanics. It it a successful fusion there- Texas is a multicultural success story, as far as such things exist.
Like hell.  Texas is a Yugo-Slavia waiting to happen. 
PDH!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

The chick in Black Robe who hooked up with the Frenchy was pretty cute.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2010, 07:48:49 PM
The chick in Black Robe who hooked up with the Frenchy was pretty cute.

She isn't injun :nerd:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2010, 06:56:13 PM
Quote from: dps on January 11, 2010, 06:39:17 PM
A
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 11, 2010, 05:40:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2010, 04:51:08 PM
While there are some remarkable languages out there that are on the endangered species list, are "Texas German" and "Texas Czech" really worthy of study?

Send some linguists up here.  Yukon has a dozen or so first nations languages, all spoken by very few people, that are at risk of being forgotten to history.

Fuck the Injuns.

Are they HOTT?

Some are. :perv:

Show me the next time I pass through.  ;)

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 11, 2010, 08:12:55 PM
Remember that his qualifications for attractiveness are identical to Caliga's.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2010, 08:25:51 PM
:lol:  How long ago was it that Beeb posted those pics of CRAZY HOT BABES OF THE YUKON?

dps

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 11, 2010, 07:21:17 PM
I am concerned about the near extinction of Breton and Cornish.  The rest can be fucked for all Mb cares.

Cornish has been extinct since the 18th century or so.  It's anybody's guess how many people still speak Breton, since there are no language stats for France that have any real claim to accuracy.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 11, 2010, 08:12:55 PM

Well, from the first time through, I still remember the red-headed hottie who stopped me for some ongoing road-construction work somewhere between Whithorse and the border.  :wub:

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2010, 08:34:56 PM
:lol:  How long ago was it that Beeb posted those pics of CRAZY HOT BABES OF THE YUKON?
Oh? :perv:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

I remember him trying a Albertan hott chicks, but nary a Yukon one.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on January 11, 2010, 10:11:21 PM
I remember him trying a Albertan hott chicks, but nary a Yukon one.
That's the ticket. :homestar:

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on January 11, 2010, 04:50:02 PM
I read an interesting article recently about what they called "Globish" - a dumbed-down version of English. Most non-native speakers only know about 1500-2000 words, don't understand idioms etc. That's actually a big problem for the British diplomats at the EU apparently. Everybody there speaks English and understands each other just fine - until the British appear and speak in their much more complicated English that no one gets. ;)
I'm always being told by foreigners that they find it much easier to understand each other than natives.
I've heard this too about 2000 words and in my language learning have tried to get those 2000 words in, it doesn't quite work out though when everyone else uses more appropriate, more complicated words.
██████
██████
██████