And we're back!

Main Menu

Dialects and languages dying in Texas

Started by Valmy, January 11, 2010, 04:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

http://www.utexas.edu/features/2010/01/11/dying_languages/

especially:

QuoteMost linguists agree about 6,000 languages exist in the world today, and in the next century about 90 percent will disappear.

5,400 languages dying, just 599 more to kill.  Go English!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I read an interesting article recently about what they called "Globish" - a dumbed-down version of English. Most non-native speakers only know about 1500-2000 words, don't understand idioms etc. That's actually a big problem for the British diplomats at the EU apparently. Everybody there speaks English and understands each other just fine - until the British appear and speak in their much more complicated English that no one gets. ;)

Barrister

While there are some remarkable languages out there that are on the endangered species list, are "Texas German" and "Texas Czech" really worthy of study?

Send some linguists up here.  Yukon has a dozen or so first nations languages, all spoken by very few people, that are at risk of being forgotten to history.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Once White has turned into a brownish shade of sludge, does it really matter what language those freaks of nature will speak?

Lettow77

That's a bit overly critical, Slargos. Whites have a future in Texas, as well as hispanics. It it a successful fusion there- Texas is a multicultural success story, as far as such things exist.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Slargos

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 11, 2010, 05:05:56 PM
That's a bit overly critical, Slargos. Whites have a future in Texas, as well as hispanics. It it a successful fusion there- Texas is a multicultural success story, as far as such things exist.

Pfft. I give it another 50 years. 100 at the most.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Zanza on January 11, 2010, 04:50:02 PM
I read an interesting article recently about what they called "Globish" - a dumbed-down version of English. Most non-native speakers only know about 1500-2000 words, don't understand idioms etc. That's actually a big problem for the British diplomats at the EU apparently. Everybody there speaks English and understands each other just fine - until the British appear and speak in their much more complicated English that no one gets. ;)

They shouldn't feel bad.  I can't understand the British either.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Slargos on January 11, 2010, 05:03:54 PM
Once White has turned into a brownish shade of sludge, does it really matter what language those freaks of nature will speak?

Yes. Language shapes thought, and English-speaking peoples have the best record of any of expanding the rights of man and furthering technological progress. Just think of how clearly and precisely you can express your thoughts here in English versus the inchoate mess that must pass for an internal monologue in your guttural arctic mother tongue.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Slargos

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 11, 2010, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: Slargos on January 11, 2010, 05:03:54 PM

Yes. Language shapes thought, and English-speaking peoples have the best record of any of expanding the rights of man and furthering technological progress. Just think of how clearly and precisely you can express your thoughts here in English versus the inchoate mess that must pass for an internal monologue in your guttural arctic mother tongue.

:lol:

Precious.  :hug:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2010, 04:51:08 PM
While there are some remarkable languages out there that are on the endangered species list, are "Texas German" and "Texas Czech" really worthy of study?

Send some linguists up here.  Yukon has a dozen or so first nations languages, all spoken by very few people, that are at risk of being forgotten to history.

Fuck the Injuns.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

A
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 11, 2010, 05:40:27 PM

Fuck the Injuns.

Are they HOTT?

Barrister

Quote from: dps on January 11, 2010, 06:39:17 PM
A
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 11, 2010, 05:40:27 PM

Fuck the Injuns.

Are they HOTT?

Some are. :perv:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Maybe linguists would rather study Texas German in the US instead of first nation languages in the yukon.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

ulmont

Quote from: Zanza on January 11, 2010, 04:50:02 PM
I read an interesting article recently about what they called "Globish" - a dumbed-down version of English. Most non-native speakers only know about 1500-2000 words, don't understand idioms etc.

Sounds like the "Special English" that the Voice of America uses.
http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/about_special_english.cfm

Darth Wagtaros

I am concerned about the near extinction of Breton and Cornish.  The rest can be fucked for all Mb cares.
PDH!