How much time have you spent in foreign countries?

Started by Zanza, January 11, 2010, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much time have you spent in foreign countries?

I've never been in a foreign country.
2 (2.8%)
Only been in foreign countries for short tourism stays.
28 (39.4%)
<6 months
8 (11.3%)
<1 year
6 (8.5%)
<2 years
8 (11.3%)
<3 years
4 (5.6%)
<5 years
5 (7%)
<10 years
5 (7%)
>10 years
5 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Zanza

Check the highest appropriate option. Use your own judgment what to count. I suggest not counting tourism stays of less than 1 month.

I expect Languish to be quite cosmopolitan.

I spent about 18 months in foreign countries for longer times (6 months in Australia, 2x 6 months in USA).

Valmy

France in 1997 for two months and then in 1998 for five months.

I was also there for two weeks in 2000.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

It's harder to be cosmopolitan when your country is really big and and surrounded by ocean.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

5 months in Holland, 1 1/2 years in Sweden. Then just little holidays.
Though if you want to count Ireland add another two or maybe three (lots of long holidays) years onto that.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

It's nigh on five years since I came to Austria (early March).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

A week in London, another skiing in Switzerland. I've always gone on holidays to other parts of Spain.

My biggest regret is not going on Erasmus when I had the chance.  :Embarrass:

Slargos

Nearly 10 years in Norway. But I'm not sure it really counts.  :D

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2010, 04:00:31 PM
It's harder to be cosmopolitan when your country is really big and and surrounded by ocean.
I don't think we have any Australians on the board.  :outback:

crazy canuck

The longest away from home was under a year backpacking through Europe.  Since then I have spent over a month in Europe (mainly Italy and France) on three occasions.  I have also spent a lot of time in the US if you add up the aggregate of time spent there but not one long stay. 

And to give one to our Separatist friends I have also stayed a week in Quebec on two occasions once in Montreal and once in Quebec City.

Lettow77

Quebec seperatists :wub:

I've never left the South. I took a trip to Charleston in the summer, which was far and away the furthest i'd ever travelled. It was a wonderful place, and I could see enjoying living there.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Slargos

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 04:17:40 PM
The longest away from home was under a year backpacking through Europe.  Since then I have spent over a month in Europe (mainly Italy and France) on three occasions.  I have also spent a lot of time in the US if you add up the aggregate of time spent there but not one long stay. 

And to give one to our Separatist friends I have also stayed a week in Quebec on two occasions once in Montreal and once in Quebec City.

A longish trip like that would be fucking awesome. The longest stretch I've ever pulled was 6 weeks and by that time I felt I had barely scratched the surface of what could've been a great adventure.  :bowler:

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Pat

I've been to almost all countries in western europe, and I've been several times to quite a few of them (been at least five times to Germany, for example, probably something like five times to Spain as well). Been to all the baltic countries. Three times to Turkey (I included Greece with western europe). Been to the US. I've been to nine asian countries: Sri Lanka, India, Mongolia, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, East Timor and China and some of them I've been to several times. Been staying at my fathers place in Jakarta months at a time. But I don't think I've been out of the country for more than two or three months or so at a time. I really have no idea how much I've been out of the country in total. I picked 1-2 years but I'm not sure if it's the right choice. 

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.