News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New poll has Mass. Senate race in a dead heat

Started by jimmy olsen, January 10, 2010, 08:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

The funny/sad thing for the GOP now is, though, I bet Brown is now their #1 prospect for a Presidential run.

dps

The funny/sad thing for the Democrats now is that they're probably stuck with Obama as their Presidential candidate in 2012.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2010, 10:45:40 PM
The funny/sad thing for the Democrats now is that they're probably stuck with Obama as their Presidential candidate in 2012.
Oh, please, like this wouldn't happen with any other Democrat elected as president.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 11:04:47 PM
Oh, please, like this wouldn't happen with any other Democrat elected as president.

Jimmy Carter faced a primary challange from within his own party in 1980 in the form of Ted Kennedy, and he was able to hold on to the nomination.  Do you really think that Carter beats Kennedy in a primary race if Carter's not the incumbent?  So of course it's not just about Obama.  But he will fight off any primary challange (if there is one) in 2012, unless things are really, really bad.  Scary bad.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on January 19, 2010, 10:41:32 PM
CNN just said that a democratic senator (webb) released a statement saying it would only be fair to suspend health care votes until Brown is seated. Cowardly fuckers.
Democrats sure did their best to reap the least benefits with the most drawbacks out of their "supermajority".  A lot of good those "moderates" did for them, they just created the illusion of Democratic majority, without giving Democrats the power.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2010, 11:12:58 PM

Jimmy Carter faced a primary challange from within his own party in 1980 in the form of Ted Kennedy, and he was able to hold on to the nomination.  Do you really think that Carter beats Kennedy in a primary race if Carter's not the incumbent?  So of course it's not just about Obama.  But he will fight off any primary challange (if there is one) in 2012, unless things are really, really bad.  Scary bad.
I don't think you got the point of my message.  Obama is now under attack, and his approval ratings dropped.  Do you think any Democrat in his place would fare differently right now?  No matter what any president would do, the economy would still be bad, and of course it would be the fault of the president for the last year.

Right-wing nutjobs aren't going to concede the legitimacy of any Democratic president, and unfortunately right-wing nutjobs hold the biggest influence over the mood of the general public.  Democrats may make temporary gains whenever the right-wingers discredit themselves, which happens frequently due to them subscribing to an intellectually bankrupt ideology, but after a while things bounce back to normal.

derspiess

CNN just said that a democratic senator (webb) released a statement saying it would only be fair to suspend health care votes until Brown is seated. Cowardly fuckers.

:nelson:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 11:26:07 PM
Right-wing nutjobs aren't going to concede the legitimacy of any Democratic president, and unfortunately right-wing nutjobs hold the biggest influence over the mood of the general public.  Democrats may make temporary gains whenever the right-wingers discredit themselves, which happens frequently due to them subscribing to an intellectually bankrupt ideology, but after a while things bounce back to normal.

Hey, maybe the President shouldn't be talking about cutting the deficit and instead asking what happened to the trillions of dollars in tax cuts and war spending under Dubya. Maybe, if the "right-wingers discredit themselves" by subscribing to an "intellectually bankrupt ideology", you shouldn't make noises about bipartisanship and then seem like a tool when nobody wants to make huggy faces at you.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 11:26:07 PM
Quote from: dps on January 19, 2010, 11:12:58 PM

I don't think you got the point of my message.  Obama is now under attack, and his approval ratings dropped.  Do you think any Democrat in his place would fare differently right now?  No matter what any president would do, the economy would still be bad, and of course it would be the fault of the president for the last year.

My original post was basically a joke about  the Democrats are being pretty much stuck with Obama as their Presidential candidate in 2012 whether or not they want him.  While it was intended as a joke, it is true that he'll be their nominee barring a major calamity between now and then.  I misunderstood your post and somehow got the impression that you were suggestiing that they aren't stuck with him, that a primary challange was likely to be successful.  Clearly, that's not what you said.  Sorry about that.

Fate

Tonight was a victory for the forces of freedom and justice.  :showoff:

ObamaCare is DOA!

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on January 19, 2010, 10:21:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2010, 10:06:13 PM
Quote from: Weatherman on January 19, 2010, 09:56:45 PM
Brown wins. 52% to 47%.

America losses.
Your statement doesn't make any sense.

Meh, you wouldn't understand not being an American.  Besides hasn't China purchased Alberta?  As a Chinese shill I would expect you to root against the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 11:26:07 PM...which happens frequently due to them subscribing to an intellectually bankrupt ideology,

As opposed to the intellectually sound  ideology of the left.  :rolleyes:

Your naiveté is amusing and sad.  :hug:

Viking

I like how Taxachusetts is the state that stops Obamacare from Bankrupting America.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on January 20, 2010, 05:06:18 AM
I like how Taxachusetts is the state that stops Obamacare from Bankrupting America.
-_-  Taxes in Massachusetts are not as high as everyone says.  They're probably about average in the US.  I think taxes in California are much higher, for example.  Then again that might not be true anymore since they started that MassHealth thing up there.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points