News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New poll has Mass. Senate race in a dead heat

Started by jimmy olsen, January 10, 2010, 08:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2010, 08:48:00 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 18, 2010, 08:40:49 PM
A vote against this dumbass would be a vote against Obama.  The Democrats didn't take this very seriously.
Seriously Wags, reading polls like that I feel like I've fallen into an alternate universe. Does it really feel like Brown's momentum is that strong?
Yes, there's a lot of energy and enthusiasm for Brown. Still a close race but the energy is there for Brown that you're seeing.

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2010, 06:30:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2010, 11:33:52 PM
I hadn't heard of this case before today.
Seriously?  The Amirault case got fairly frequent (albeit generally low-level) coverage for years up there.
Yep, pretty strong coverage, and a lot of worry over how it was handled and that it took so long to resolve the issues around it. Coakley got some flack over it for her part, when she was involved later on, but I haven't seen any negative campaign ads over it.

Faeelin

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2010, 09:05:29 PM
I think it would be tragic is Brown wins, given the implications for the healthcare reform.  I'm starting to think that our country is no longer capable of doing anything on a large scale except maintain the inertia to the bitter end.

Why? The Democrats wouldn't be being hammered over this health care bill if it was popular. The President's done very little to make people think it isn't a load of pork, with back room deals with individual senators, the pharmaceutical industry, etc.

You can argue that's wrong, but it's not a sign of systemic failure because the Democrats had trouble selling a questionable bill of goods.

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on January 19, 2010, 11:57:13 AM

Why? The Democrats wouldn't be being hammered over this health care bill if it was popular. The President's done very little to make people think it isn't a load of pork, with back room deals with individual senators, the pharmaceutical industry, etc.

You can argue that's wrong, but it's not a sign of systemic failure because the Democrats had trouble selling a questionable bill of goods.

Health care reform is complex enough that it is almost impossible to make a good case for it on a cable news show, but that doesn't mean it isn't a sound bill.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Fate

Quote from: Faeelin on January 19, 2010, 11:57:13 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2010, 09:05:29 PM
I think it would be tragic is Brown wins, given the implications for the healthcare reform.  I'm starting to think that our country is no longer capable of doing anything on a large scale except maintain the inertia to the bitter end.

Agreed I much prefer the status quo. Scott Brown is the only thing standing between America and communism. VOTE BROWN!

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on January 19, 2010, 12:50:41 PM
Health care reform is complex enough that it is almost impossible to make a good case for it on a cable news show, but that doesn't mean it isn't a sound bill.

Mmm. So in other words it's the fault of the masses for not studying the issue?

I dunno. The Obama administration has managed to be perceived by the left as selling out to big business and basically subsidizing insurance. It's managed to get the center uneasy with the expansion of government interference, and galvanize the right. It's also completely let its grass roots support system (which would have been a nice way to counteract the Tea Party movement) wither away.

MadImmortalMan

Maybe a better strategy then would be to do the reform in a series of smaller bills that are easier to understand on their own instead of one big huge one that just looks overwhelming.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 19, 2010, 01:39:34 PM

Maybe a better strategy then would be to do the reform in a series of smaller bills that are easier to understand on their own instead of one big huge one that just looks overwhelming.

And require five 60 vote cloture motions on each of them? Are you kidding me? That's a gift bag to obstructionists.

Sounds like a great idea!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Fate on January 19, 2010, 01:43:05 PM

And require five 60 vote cloture motions on each of them? Are you kidding me? That's a gift bag to obstructionists.

Sounds like a great idea!

There is certainly that, but it's much easier to obstruct an unpopular bill than a dozen popular ones.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

MIM, you're forgetting about The Fate Rule.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 19, 2010, 01:39:34 PM
Politically, maybe, but practically it would be a disastrous strategy.  So many pieces of the healthcare reform must come together, or not at all.  You can't have guaranteed issue without a mandate, for example.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Faeelin on January 19, 2010, 01:15:39 PM

I dunno. The Obama administration has managed to be perceived by the left as selling out to big business and basically subsidizing insurance. It's managed to get the center uneasy with the expansion of government interference, and galvanize the right. It's also completely let its grass roots support system (which would have been a nice way to counteract the Tea Party movement) wither away.
Yes.  Lefties here in Mass. complain that Obama sold them out to Big Business.  He and his DNC masters have managed to piss off everyone and have very little to show for it.  Maybe the surprise invasion of Cuba will generate some support from everyone.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 19, 2010, 02:30:07 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 19, 2010, 01:15:39 PM

Yes.  Lefties here in Mass. complain that Obama sold them out to Big Business.  He and his DNC masters have managed to piss off everyone and have very little to show for it.  Maybe the surprise invasion of Cuba will generate some support from everyone.
I tend to agree with you and Faelin here. The Obama admin has managed to annoy just about everyone it seems, doing business even more so than usual, after promising quite the opposite.

Ed Anger

Part of me is laughing that the Dems are likely going to lose that seat.

I'd laugh harder if the cunt pulls it out so I can laugh at Tim. I'd so rub it in his face.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive