Andrew Sullivan: US should institute a 2 state solution by force

Started by jimmy olsen, January 07, 2010, 07:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Yes, I can see how such a military intervention would be quite feasible especially compared to the neocon adventure in Iraq you're always bitching about. :hmm:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/01/sick-of-the-israelis-and-the-palestinians.html#more
Quote06 Jan 2010 02:08 pm
"Sick" Of The Israelis And The Palestinians

Ben Rhodes has denied that Rahm said this to the Israelis. Well, it sure sounds like Rahm.

More to the point, who wouldn't be sick of the Israelis and the Palestinians at this point?

I too am sick of the Israelis for their contempt for the interests of their most important ally, their continuation of brutalizing colonization of the West Bank, their shameless ethnic engineering in East Jerusalem, their pulverization of Gaza, the direct manipulation of domestic American politics by their ambassador, and on and on. And, yes, I'm also sick of the war crimes and theocratic insanity of Hamas, and the lame passive-aggression of the PA, and the inability of the Palestinian leadership to prepare for actual governance as opposed to the victimized preening and theatrics and violence they prefer to the difficult compromises required if we are to move forward.

And if Rahm Emanuel is sick of them all, one can imagine how the average American feels. My own view is moving toward supporting a direct American military imposition of a two-state solution, with NATO troops on the borders of the new states of Palestine and Israel. I'm sick of having a great power like the US being dictated to in the conduct of its own foreign policy by an ally that provides almost no real benefit to the US, and more and more costs.

Share This
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

Neil

Siegebreaker would shoot up whatever military base he was at.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I'm waiting for Andrew Sullivan to drop dead from the AIDS.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2010, 07:59:55 AM
Yes, I can see how so such a military intervention would be quite feasible especially compared to the neocon adventure in Iraq you're always bitching about. :hmm:

This is different.  He is sick of them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

The post quoted by Tim seems like something I could disagree with 100%.

Grallon

There are only 2 long term solutions to this endless conflict:

- either the jews close the shop and abandon Israel
- or they offer full union with the palestinians.. in which case they'll be outbred before long and become a minority.

Well a 3rd outcome *is* possible; if Iran launches nukes against Israel the israelis will retaliate and the whole region might blow...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Faeelin

Sigh. Sullivan's the reason I regret that the US lifted the HIV travel ban.

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on January 07, 2010, 09:59:11 AM
- either the jews close the shop and abandon Israel
- or they offer full union with the palestinians.. in which case they'll be outbred before long and become a minority.

You do know that the Jewish women in Israel breed at a rate of 2.88 children per woman, you know, almost twice that of Quebec.  That is ridiculously high for a country with western style life expectancy.  How the Palestinians will manage to outbreed that 'before long' boggles the mind.

So unless the Arabs have cloning machines Israel/Palestine will collapse due to water shortages or mass starvation long before the Arabs outbreed them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on January 07, 2010, 10:03:57 AM

WTF. He seems like a decent bloke.

Edit: Actually I just read his wiki entry and he seems like someone who would fit on Languish. :P

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2010, 10:27:13 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 07, 2010, 10:03:57 AM

WTF. He seems like a decent bloke.

Eh. I don't approve of HIV+ people who engage in unprotected sex via online hookups and then ramble on about gay families.

I also don't approve of the fact that he called me an "authoritarian part of the left" over the summer.

Martinus

Grallon

Quote from: Faeelin on January 07, 2010, 10:30:41 AM

I also don't approve of the fact that he called me an "authoritarian part of the left" over the summer.

It seems he sized you up pretty well - you alway striked me as the log cabin type.  :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on January 07, 2010, 10:33:01 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 07, 2010, 10:30:41 AM

It seems he sized you up pretty well - you alway striked me as the log cabin type.  :P

G.

Wouldn't a log cabin type be the opposite of the "authoritarian left"? In fact, Sullivan is the log cabin type.

Martinus

Besides, as the gay rights movement progresses, I imagine more and more gays will come out as "log cabin" types. A lot of gays are upper middle class professionals who are only in an alliance of convenience with the left. Once we get what we want we will jump off that bandwagon and demand lower taxes instead.