Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 08, 2010, 03:41:03 PM
Grumbler, your argument makes no sense: "the characters are awful because their costume design isn't up to snuff."  Just because you personally don't like the route the costume designer took doesn't mean they're poor characters. 
DontSayBanana, your argument makes no sense.  "The fact that the costumes loo incredibly fake doesn't mean their design is not up to snuff."  The Ewoks are not credible as a race, both because their resemblance to teddy bears ruins their role as serious protagonists, and because their costumes lack credibility:  they are obviously midgets dressed in costumes.

QuoteI wouldn't call them the best supporting characters in the world, either, but there's been far worse, especially in science fiction.
It is probably good that no one is arguing what you are not arguing, then.

QuoteAlso, you're assuming "big budget" means "big costume budget."
I am?  Thanks.  I didn't know that. In fact, I thought I was arguing against the Ewoks as characters because of their crappy costumes, and you were arguing the opposite!  :huh:

Anything else I am assuming that is the opposite of what I am saying?

And what are the implications of assuming that "'big budget' does not necessarily mean big costume 'budget'", if complaining about cheesy costumes necessitates that one must be assuming that "'big budget' means 'big costume budget'?"  That's not clear to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 08, 2010, 10:31:31 AM
If your first introduction to Star Wars is today. There is no way, in any order, that any of the movies it's an incredible pile of outdated suck.

The Special Effects hold up against any CGI created today.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2010, 04:23:12 PM
If your first introduction to Star Wars is today. There is no way, in any order, that any of the movies it's an incredible pile of outdated suck.

The Special Effects hold up against any CGI created today.   :huh:

In many ways I prefer the old special effects.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Korea

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2010, 06:41:14 AM
What is this thing you call "crotch pose," Captain Kirk?

Since Riker has an injured back he can't stand straight so there were several times in TNG that Riker would stand with one of his legs resting on something and his crotch would be right in Data (or whoevers) face.
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

My first introduction to star wars was only about 5 years ago when I was 17.

Neil

Quote from: Korea on January 08, 2010, 06:12:09 PM

Gay Fox is too emo to like cool things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Korea

Quote from: Neil on January 08, 2010, 06:22:26 PM
Quote from: Korea on January 08, 2010, 06:12:09 PM

Gay Fox is too emo to like cool things.

Yeah, I thought the movies were great.

Maximus

Agreed, the originals aren't any better than the new ones. There's just a lot of nostalgia attached to them.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on January 08, 2010, 07:11:12 PM
Agreed, the originals aren't any better than the new ones. There's just a lot of nostalgia attached to them.
Which explains there original popularity how?  The originals were filled with, er, originality and badass.  Hans was badass.  Hans shooting Tie fighters out of the Millenium Falcon was badass.  Darth was badass. The Death Star was badass.  The imperial walkers were totally badass.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2010, 07:33:07 PM
Which explains there original popularity how?  The originals were filled with, er, originality and badass.  Hans was badass.  Hans shooting Tie fighters out of the Millenium Falcon was badass.  Darth was badass. The Death Star was badass.  The imperial walkers were totally badass.
It probably doesn't explain the popularity of the originals as much as the lack thereof in the later trilogy among the same people. I don't know, the originals may have been good for their time(though I doubt it), but I found the acting bad and the story uncompelling. Same as the later trilogy. Guess I don't get the badass part.

Sophie Scholl

Trek nerds:  When did Kirk's middle name change to Tiberius?  I'm going through Season 1 of TOS and in one episode, Where No Man Has Gone Before I believe, his tombstone says James R. Kirk.  Whats up with that?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

ulmont

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 08, 2010, 07:58:17 PM
Trek nerds:  When did Kirk's middle name change to Tiberius?  I'm going through Season 1 of TOS and in one episode, Where No Man Has Gone Before I believe, his tombstone says James R. Kirk.  Whats up with that?

Random Blooper according to Memory Alpha.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/James_T._Kirk#Ambiguities

Syt

Quote from: Maximus on January 08, 2010, 07:54:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2010, 07:33:07 PM
It probably doesn't explain the popularity of the originals as much as the lack thereof in the later trilogy among the same people. I don't know, the originals may have been good for their time(though I doubt it), but I found the acting bad and the story uncompelling. Same as the later trilogy. Guess I don't get the badass part.

Lucas was on Jon Stewart this week. He said that there's basically three groups of fans now. First are the ones who grew up with the old movies and hate the new ones. Second are the young generation who grew up with CGI movies and prefer the new ones, finding the old ones cheap looking  and boring (which stewart anecdotally confirmed in that his son loves Ep.I and Jar Jar, even htough he tried to explain to him how awful it was). Third are the ones that mainly follow the Clone wars cartoons.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

syk

Wow, how can ST be in the lead? I always found the ST following to be much bigger idiots than SW fans. The main line in favor of Star Trek usually went like "The technological stuff is pretty accurate". I never cared for that, it's science fiction ffs. I prefer to have aliens looking alien and not like men/women in cheap costumes.
The aliens in SW are better,
the action is cooler,
the CGI are far superior,
the mythical bits of SW beat the tech stuff of ST,
the Empire's badassness has nothing to be compared to in ST,
SW fans are far less annoying than trekkies,
SW is a childhood dream, SF is just a TV series certain geeky kids liked.

That said, away from a child's viewpoint I find the old SW movies just as bad as the new ones. I still love them but mainly because they are a space fairy tale I used to love as a kid.

Korea

I just watched The Killing Game and am currently watching Threshhold....how did voyager stay on the air??  :yuk: