Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

grumbler

Quote from: syk on January 09, 2010, 06:55:08 AM
Wow, how can ST be in the lead? I always found the ST following to be much bigger idiots than SW fans. The main line in favor of Star Trek usually went like "The technological stuff is pretty accurate". I never cared for that, it's science fiction ffs. I prefer to have aliens looking alien and not like men/women in cheap costumes.
The aliens in SW are better,
the action is cooler,
the CGI are far superior,
the mythical bits of SW beat the tech stuff of ST,
the Empire's badassness has nothing to be compared to in ST,
SW fans are far less annoying than trekkies,
SW is a childhood dream, SF is just a TV series certain geeky kids liked.

That said, away from a child's viewpoint I find the old SW movies just as bad as the new ones. I still love them but mainly because they are a space fairy tale I used to love as a kid.
Agree that, from a kid's point of view, SW is better.  If you are thinking of these shows as you remember them from your childhood, then I can understand why you would exclaim "Wow, how can ST be in the lead?"

The rest of us are not able to channel your childhood, though, so our question would be "Wow, how could syk not understand why ST would be in the lead?"

If I had two hours or so to spend watching SF and my choices were the best 120 minutes of Star Wars and the best 120 minutes of Star Trek, there is no doubt in my mind that the two hours of ST would be superior, by far.  There is simply so much more there to choose from.  Yesterday's Enterprise by itself is probably more entertaining and moving than any of the Star Wars movies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Korea on January 09, 2010, 12:43:13 PM
I just watched The Killing Game and am currently watching Threshhold....how did voyager stay on the air??  :yuk:
Voyager stayed on the air because it had a major studio backing it and keeping it on the studio's channel.  That show cured my Trek Jones, fer sher.  I think I may have gotten through a half-dozen episodes before the gagging became constant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Korea

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2010, 12:52:46 PM
Quote from: Korea on January 09, 2010, 12:43:13 PM
I just watched The Killing Game and am currently watching Threshhold....how did voyager stay on the air??  :yuk:
Voyager stayed on the air because it had a major studio backing it and keeping it on the studio's channel.  That show cured my Trek Jones, fer sher.  I think I may have gotten through a half-dozen episodes before the gagging became constant.

These were the first Voyager episodes I've ever seen....I can't say it would be the last though because it's just so mind bogglingly fucking retarded in a semi entertaining sort of way.
I want my mother fucking points!

Fate

Voyager was the pinnacle of the Star Trek series.

grumbler

Quote from: Korea on January 09, 2010, 12:59:00 PM
These were the first Voyager episodes I've ever seen....I can't say it would be the last though because it's just so mind bogglingly fucking retarded in a semi entertaining sort of way.
I think they had four of their two shuttles destroyed just in the first six episodes.

Bayraktar!

Fate

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2010, 01:02:56 PM
Quote from: Korea on January 09, 2010, 12:59:00 PM
I think they had four of their two shuttles destroyed just in the first six episodes.

Replicating a shuttle craft from thin air is much more within the realm of possibility than FTL technology.

But of course the latter is a sacred Trekkie cow.  :rolleyes:

Eddie Teach

Scifi without ftl(or a workaround like wormholes) is pretty boring. No aliens, no galaxy-spanning civilizations.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 09, 2010, 01:42:17 PM
Scifi without ftl(or a workaround like wormholes) is pretty boring. No aliens, no galaxy-spanning civilizations.

OK Tim.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Please don't feed the troll.  kthxbai  :cool:

Bayraktar!

Neil

Your weak imagination sickens me.  Some of the most imaginative sci-fi out there is STL.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on January 09, 2010, 02:54:54 PM
Your weak imagination sickens me.  Some of the most imaginative sci-fi out there is STL.

Sure, there's gonna be some good stuff out there, but mostly it'll just be alt history stuff about the modern world with slightly cooler gadgets.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 09, 2010, 05:36:57 PM
Sure, there's gonna be some good stuff out there, but mostly it'll just be alt history stuff about the modern world with slightly cooler gadgets.
STL spaceflight stories are glorious.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on January 09, 2010, 06:17:09 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 09, 2010, 05:36:57 PM
STL spaceflight stories are glorious.

Some have built Nobel prizes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniara
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rasputin

Quote from: grumbler on January 08, 2010, 10:15:05 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 08, 2010, 09:31:02 AM
I don't see what anyone could possibly hold against them.
(1) the choice of the teddy bear as the archetype for them, which totally destroyed any chance of suspension of disbelief for anyone over age 8;
(2) the choice to costume them in outfits that looked to hideously fake that even 8-and-unders gagged.

The only thing they could have done to top the Ewoks as presented would have been to have the Millennium Falcon represented by a turd with sparklers stuck in it.
:lmfao:
Who is John Galt?

Savonarola

Quote from: syk on January 09, 2010, 06:55:08 AM
Wow, how can ST be in the lead? I always found the ST following to be much bigger idiots than SW fans. The main line in favor of Star Trek usually went like "The technological stuff is pretty accurate".

The technological stuff in Star Trek is horribly inaccurate; but one of the key differences is how the two series deal with technology.  In Star Trek technology is usually the solution to problems and often the deus ex machina .  Once boy genius, Wesley Crusher, reverses the sub-atomic resonance of the anti-matter injectors to reveal a temporal flux in the plasma conduits the Enterprise will be saved.  In Star Wars technology is often portrayed as sinister and evil; Darth Vader is called more machine than man, Luke must let go of his reliance in technology and trust in the Force in order to destroy the Death Star and even Darth Vader calls the Death Star a "Technological Terror."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock