Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2010, 11:55:13 AM
... I will continue to cite wikipedia.
And i will continue to mock you when you do act like a primary-schooler.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 07, 2010, 11:38:42 AM
:yes: When I realized that grumbler's source is his ass it saved me a lot of reading.
I suppose that it isn't a TBR violation when it is you who reveals that you are my source.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM
We've discussed nearly every geeky topic under the sun, but I don't think we've ever done this one (plus I've been brushing up on my Star Trek geekdom with the new MMO coming out).

Now I know Dr. Who has it's fans, Battlestar Galactica was nifty, Buck Rodgers has golden age cool, and Babylon 5 has grumbler.  But we all know that in the end there are two towering behemoths of science fiction-dom.

So which is your favourite: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Luke Skywalker, or Captain Kirk?

The Millenium Falcon, or the Enterprise?

Yeoman Rand in a 60s miniskirt, or Princess Leia in a gold bikini?

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!, or KHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!

Star Wars has the best expanded universe.  Nearly everything is cannon in it, and I quite like that.
Reading a Star Trek book will left you meh.
But even the bad Star Wars book has some merit on their own :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Star Fleet Battles vs Fasa's Starship combat simulator. :nerd:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 07, 2010, 12:39:01 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 07, 2010, 11:38:42 AM
:yes: When I realized that grumbler's source is his ass it saved me a lot of reading.
I suppose that it isn't a TBR violation when it is you who reveals that you are my source.  :cool:

I am a source of joy. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2010, 02:09:46 PM

FASA's Starship simulator. :nerd:

SFB just took too long, with too many rules.

That being said, WEG did do a x-wing / tie-fighter board game that was also pretty cool.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2010, 03:04:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2010, 02:09:46 PM

FASA's Starship simulator. :nerd:

SFB just took too long, with too many rules.

That being said, WEG did do a x-wing / tie-fighter board game that was also pretty cool.

SFB went to hell when they added the kitchen sink to the games. ECM? FUCK THAT SHIT.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Rasputin

I have not read any of the replies but wish to be on record as saying that anyone who picked star wars as a series over star trek as a series is a FUCKTARD and likely the inbred progeny of first cousins or full blooded siblings.

While star wars a new hope and the empire strikes back are masterpieces and were groundbreaking in their day, we can never forgive lucas for star wars 1 or 2 or jar jar binks or the ewoks.

NEVER FORGET

NEVER FORGET

NEVER FORGET

:weep:
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

ohhh and wikipedia is garbage

might as well cite to the shoe shine guy
Who is John Galt?

Savonarola

Quote from: Rasputin on January 07, 2010, 04:35:09 PM
I have not read any of the replies but wish to be on record as saying that anyone who picked star wars as a series over star trek as a series is a FUCKTARD and likely the inbred progeny of first cousins or full blooded siblings.

While star wars a new hope and the empire strikes back are masterpieces and were groundbreaking in their day, we can never forgive lucas for star wars 1 or 2 or jar jar binks or the ewoks.

NEVER FORGET

NEVER FORGET

NEVER FORGET

:weep:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Rasputin on January 07, 2010, 04:45:44 PM
ohhh and wikipedia is garbage

might as well cite to the shoe shine guy

I dunno anything about it
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.