Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Maybe if that guy wasn't spending all his money on hookers, he could afford a decent computer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 07, 2010, 10:39:47 AM
Maybe if that guy wasn't spending all his money on hookers, he could afford a decent computer.
He doesn't capitalize because he is having sex, and therefore typing one-handed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on January 07, 2010, 09:37:44 AM
It always amuses me when we have threads about stuff like Star Wars or LOTRO and people start with the whole "that's a giant ripoff of xyz!" arguments.  Virtually everything 'original' that comes out is similar enough to something else that already has been written that someone can credibly make this argument, so I'm never impressed by people thinking they are Sherlock Holmes and 'discovering' these super-secret orgins.
Pointing out sources of stuff isn't just to say it's a whole ripoff or that it's not original, it can just be interesting and it can enhance understanding of both the source and the end product :)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

:yes: When I realized that grumbler's source is his ass it saved me a lot of reading.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on January 07, 2010, 07:41:23 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 07, 2010, 07:27:57 AM
It masqueraded as a credible source, which is an affront to everyone.
Wikipedia has never masqueraded as a credible source.  That's what is so funny about the Barristers of the world; their own source says "Wikipedia is probably the wrong source to cite unless the researcher is a primary school pupil.(1)"  I would disagree about even the primary school pupil bit, but will let that go if Barrister claims that he is a primary school student and wants the exemption.

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_not_an_acceptable_citation - though note that I can cite Wiki in this case, according to Wikipedia: "If the topic under research is Wikipedia itself, then Wikipedia is the preferred source of information."

Grumbler, you really should have included the line right after the one you quoted:

Quote from: wikipedia.orgAs with all encyclopedias, Wikipedia is a tertiary source and is rarely appropriate as a citation for academic, business, or journalistic research.

It says it's inappropriate to cite for academic, business or journalism.  It also says it's inappropriate not because of it's open format, but because it's a tertiary source.

And it's certainly right.  If I'm writing a factum for the Court of Appeal I'm certainly not going to use a tertiary source like Wikipedia.  Hell I'm reluctant to use a secondary source such as a thorough legal textbook.  I want to use only primary sources, which in my line of work is caselaw.

However, I put a hell of a lot less work into bullshitting around on languish.  As languish does nto qualify as academia, business or jousnalism, I will continue to cite wikipedia.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2010, 11:32:52 AM
Pointing out sources of stuff isn't just to say it's a whole ripoff or that it's not original, it can just be interesting and it can enhance understanding of both the source and the end product :)
Yes, true.  But is that the reason anyone would do so on Languish? -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2010, 12:17:24 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2010, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: PRC on January 07, 2010, 11:22:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2010, 08:20:14 AM
rantastic!
Totally Rawsome!
:yeahright:

Tim is correct.  It should have been:

Totarry Rawsome!
I'm positive you guys know this, but that wasn't a typo, that was a purposeful mash up the words rant and fantastic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2010, 11:55:13 AM
Grumbler, you really should have included the line right after the one you quoted:

Quote from: wikipedia.orgAs with all encyclopedias, Wikipedia is a tertiary source and is rarely appropriate as a citation for academic, business, or journalistic research.

No, I shouldn't have, since this adds nothing to the argument.

QuoteIt says it's inappropriate to cite for academic, business or journalism.  It also says it's inappropriate not because of it's open format, but because it's a tertiary source.
It says that encyclopedias in general are not appropriate citations for those purposes.  It doesn't say that Wiki is suitable as a citation outside those circles.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!