Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2010, 07:51:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 07:43:50 PM
Your favourite source in the universe, Wikipedia, quotes Lynch (even better - without citation!):

Quote from: wikipediaDirector David Lynch's decision to use modules was taken because he found the idea of the Weirding Way unworkable on film, stating he did not want to see "Kung-fu on sand dunes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weirding_Module

I quote this not to say Lynch was correct, but that it was a deliberate choice made for the screen, and not that he didn't "get it".
But, according to http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=3368.msg172565#msg172565, the reason he did it is because "he didn't get it."

We both have anonymous internet sources to back our contentions. I would contend that to "agree to disagree" is better than citing more such sources.
Your source is a convicted pedagoge.  Insufficient credibility.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 08:47:13 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2010, 07:51:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 07:43:50 PM
Your favourite source in the universe, Wikipedia, quotes Lynch (even better - without citation!):

Quote from: wikipediaDirector David Lynch's decision to use modules was taken because he found the idea of the Weirding Way unworkable on film, stating he did not want to see "Kung-fu on sand dunes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weirding_Module

I quote this not to say Lynch was correct, but that it was a deliberate choice made for the screen, and not that he didn't "get it".
But, according to http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=3368.msg172565#msg172565, the reason he did it is because "he didn't get it."

We both have anonymous internet sources to back our contentions. I would contend that to "agree to disagree" is better than citing more such sources.
Your source is a convicted pedagoge.  Insufficient credibility.
Both are convicted.  It is a tie, at worst, for me.

Are tou going to argue that Lynch "got' the concept of the book? :curious:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2010, 09:04:45 PM
Are tou going to argue that Lynch "got' the concept of the book? :curious:
Not really.  I don't care.  Whatever concepts Herbert had in mind when he was writing the book is irrelevant.  The only things that are important are the ideas and feelings that the book evokes in me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 02:02:24 PM
Are you kidding?  They can't remake Star Wars.  That would be an attrocity so great that the new trilogy would pale in comparison.
THey should remake the prequel trilogy though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 06, 2010, 07:40:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2010, 10:58:16 AM
I thought Trekker was what Trekkies call themselves.

Trekkers are Trekkies who are embarrassed about it.  They basically claim to be "lite Trekkies;" in reality, they're the ones who'll still go to cons, just not in costume.

And really, STXI... Zachary Quinto can't act, Spock shouldn't be getting with Uhura, poor George Kirk seems to have been forgotten... other than that, the largest beef we Trekkies have with the movie is the way they shat all over the canon design ethos set down by Probert, Okuda, Drexler, and Eaves.  Since TNG, we've known what to expect from visual designs of the show.  You could watch a second or two and think "that's Star Trek."  This new stuff is blobby, it's an unknown quantity, and most Trekkies don't handle massive changes in the series real well.
I thought Quinto did a good job. Blobby?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2010, 09:15:10 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 02:02:24 PM
Are you kidding?  They can't remake Star Wars.  That would be an attrocity so great that the new trilogy would pale in comparison.
THey should remake the prequel trilogy though.
Do you actually think they could do a better job?

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2010, 09:21:56 PM
Blobby?
It lacks the fine lines of the original, or the sleekness of the movie version.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2010, 07:23:13 PM
There was just so much to the book that Lynch didn't "get" and yet so much to the movie that Herbert would never have dared to think of, that a divorce seems natural and right.

That is an excellent way of putting it.  When I saw the movie I wondered why he had needlessly changed some of the basic concepts of the book but when I re-read the series years after seeing the movie I also realized that the Movie had a better feel for the way things ought to have looked.

DontSayBanana

Quinto did OK when he just tried to emulate Nimoy.  Violent reaction to pent-up emotion or not, he overacted the temper tantrums.  Badly.  Spock Prime didn't even go that nuts during Ponn Farr.

Check out the side profiles of the ships here: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/stxi_ships.htm

The Enterprise's nacelles remind me more of the original Planet Killer than the original Enterprise.  The Mayflower is the only type visible on screen that makes sense (as a predecessor of the Miranda class); the Newton's also an okay design, but there's no sensible reason to have two engineering hulls, especially connected that loosely on outriggers.  As near as I can figure, the ships amount to remakes of the following:

Armstrong: Nebula
Kelvin: Challenger
Mayflower: Miranda
Newton: Springfield

The problem with that is that half of those are embarrassing kitbashes that were designed for the battle aftermath of Wolf 359 and never were intended to see screen time as anything other than wreckage.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 06, 2010, 11:17:14 PM

Quinto did OK when he just tried to emulate Nimoy.  Violent reaction to pent-up emotion or not, he overacted the temper tantrums.  Badly.  Spock Prime didn't even go that nuts during Ponn Farr.

Check out the side profiles of the ships here: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/stxi_ships.htm

The Enterprise's nacelles remind me more of the original Planet Killer than the original Enterprise.  The Mayflower is the only type visible on screen that makes sense (as a predecessor of the Miranda class); the Newton's also an okay design, but there's no sensible reason to have two engineering hulls, especially connected that loosely on outriggers.  As near as I can figure, the ships amount to remakes of the following:

Armstrong: Nebula
Kelvin: Challenger
Mayflower: Miranda
Newton: Springfield

The problem with that is that half of those are embarrassing kitbashes that were designed for the battle aftermath of Wolf 359 and never were intended to see screen time as anything other than wreckage.

His home planet just got destroyed and his mother died right in front of him. Nothing close to that bad happened to Spock prime when he was young. I think given what happened it was understandable.

I don't have time right now to look at the ship design in detail, I'll look at it latter.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Grey Fox

Grumbler, wth did Wikipedia ever did to you? Did Jimmy Wales touch you in a bad way?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2010, 07:26:32 AM
Grumbler, wth did Wikipedia ever did to you? Did Jimmy Wales touch you in a bad way?
It masqueraded as a credible source, which is an affront to everyone.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2010, 07:26:32 AM
:huh:  Wikipedia did nothing to me, and I did nothing to Wikipedia.

Wikipedia does not claim to be an authoritative source of information.  Some people fail to understand that, and I point that out to them.

It kinda surprises me that you think that I am somehow "bashing" Wikipedia or Wales when I point out something they themselves point out.  It is like asking "why do you hate polar bears?" when someone says "polar bears live in the Arctic."

Bayraktar!