Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on January 06, 2010, 09:14:49 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 09:08:11 AM
Dune didn't even come out until 1984 anyways, so how could Star Wars be influenced by it?
Ironically, I remember when I first watched the Dune movie, I thought "This is a ripoff of Star Wars, only shittier."

I don't know how you sat through that abortion of a movie.

YUO = STRONG.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I think they kept showing it over and over again on HBO one summer in the late 80s.  It probably took me like 7 or 8 partial viewings to see the entire thing.

HBO would get like fixated on certain movies for a period of several months and then show them over and over and over and OVER again.  Movies that I recall falling into this category include:

Yes, Giorgio!
Romancing the Stone
Weekend at Bernie's
Big Trouble in Little China
Little Monsters
Outrageous Fortune
Uncle Buck
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

HBO was a favorite for me too when I was playing hooky from school. MY STOMACH HURTS.

Yor, the Hunter from the Future
. Be there or be square.

ulmont

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 06, 2010, 10:11:02 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 06, 2010, 09:14:49 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 09:08:11 AM
Dune didn't even come out until 1984 anyways, so how could Star Wars be influenced by it?
Ironically, I remember when I first watched the Dune movie, I thought "This is a ripoff of Star Wars, only shittier."

I don't know how you sat through that abortion of a movie.

YUO = STRONG.

"I will kill him!  I will!"

Ed Anger

DontSayBanana

I'd have thought you loved the floating space turds that were the Guild Navigators. ;)
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 06, 2010, 10:43:23 AM
I'd have thought you loved the floating space turds that were the Guild Navigators. ;)

I only care about my own turds.  :blush:

Valmy

I know jack about Star Trek I just never got it but my wife loves it.  I sorta enjoyed the most recent movie which would alone probably get me crucified by hard core Trekkies or something.

Star Wars was great but was ruined by the prequels...I did enjoy the Old Republic games so I guess I will go with that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Although I did enjoy alot of the Star Wars books for the pulp they are, the new trilogy was painful. So Star Trek, love TNG, DS9 and movies 2,4,6,8, and 11. The books Shatner had ghost written for him were pretty amusing too.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Trekkie = obsessed with TOS
Trekker = obsessed with TNG
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I thought Trekker was what Trekkies call themselves.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2010, 10:46:18 AM
I know jack about Star Trek I just never got it but my wife loves it.  I sorta enjoyed the most recent movie which would alone probably get me crucified by hard core Trekkies or something.

Star Wars was great but was ruined by the prequels...I did enjoy the Old Republic games so I guess I will go with that.
Black Holes don't work that way and even if they did the Romulans wouldn't need any help from Spock to fix their Sun. Because unlike the Federation which relies on antimatter reactors, Romulan Warbirds are powered by artificial quantum singularities, so they're already experts on black holes.

That aside I really enjoyed that movie anyways.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 06, 2010, 10:53:44 AM
Aren't the hard core ones called Trekkers?

I know about as much about Star Trek as I do about Afghanistan buggy racing so I have no idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger