Schools of Public Health and Global, you know, Health shit

Started by CountDeMoney, January 03, 2010, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

OK, so I was contemplating the nature of graduate schools of public health who are dedicated to solving health crises overseas, particularly in developing countries.  So many granola-and-Birkenstock hairy pitters trying to save the world, one distended belly with flies on the eyelids at a time.

Now, we all know that the Third World is at the epicenter of so many global health crises--AIDS, starvation, pre-natal care, Malaria, etc.--but aren't those very issues the driving forces behind the Earth attempting to repair itself from this pestilence called Humanity?  Why are we trying to solve so many issues in the very same countries that are at the center of the biggest global health crisis:  over-population?

If that's the case, why are we trying to stop these things then?  Isn't that counter to the nature of Nature?

Neil

Come now.  Feel-good hippie types don't have the moral courage to do any real good.  Otherwise, we'd see some Army of the Twelve Monkeys shit going down.

That said, the world would be a better place if everyone south of the Rio Grade, east of the Elbe, south of the Mediterranean and not living on the islands of Australia, New Zealand or Japan would die.  If neccessary, I'd even be willing to sacrifice continental Europe and the southern United States.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2010, 09:20:11 PM
Now, we all know that the Third World is at the epicenter of so many global health crises--AIDS, starvation, pre-natal care, Malaria, etc.--but aren't those very issues the driving forces behind the Earth attempting to repair itself from this pestilence called Humanity?  Why are we trying to solve so many issues in the very same countries that are at the center of the biggest global health crisis:  over-population?

If that's the case, why are we trying to stop these things then?  Isn't that counter to the nature of Nature?

:huh:

A lot of those programs do support birth control to lower population levels, and in any case Third Worlders use far fewer resources than most of us do.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Faeelin on January 03, 2010, 10:54:03 PM
and in any case Third Worlders use far fewer resources than most of us do.

ORLY?

But, this is about global health, not global conservation.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on January 03, 2010, 09:33:35 PM
Come now.  Feel-good hippie types don't have the moral courage to do any real good.  Otherwise, we'd see some Army of the Twelve Monkeys shit going down.

That said, the world would be a better place if everyone south of the Rio Grade, east of the Elbe, south of the Mediterranean and not living on the islands of Australia, New Zealand or Japan would die.  If neccessary, I'd even be willing to sacrifice continental Europe and the southern United States.

Really you should sacrifice Japan before Europe or parts of the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich

Tamas

I have been long saying: occassional aid packages are only conserving the horrible situation in Africa. Give them reasonable help (teach them to fish), or leave them alone so they get it over quicker.

Caliga

Seedy, I used to work for the Harvard School of Public Health, and believe it or not we used to (and they still might, for all I know) hold symposia devoted to that very topic.  IIRC the general consensus was that, while population control was considered vital in the Third World, it was equally important to mitigate the suffering of those who already had been born.  Alot of the pharmas funded initiatives in places like Botswana that were half devoted to epidemiological relief, and half devoted to birth control initiatives.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2010, 06:13:49 AM
while population control was considered vital in the Third World, it was equally important to mitigate the suffering of those who already had been born.

I disagree with that premise.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 04, 2010, 06:18:26 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2010, 06:13:49 AM
while population control was considered vital in the Third World, it was equally important to mitigate the suffering of those who already had been born.

your avatar suits this thread  :lol:

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 04, 2010, 06:18:26 AM
You probably would not have been a popular fellow with the people at the Harvard AIDS Institute.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2010, 11:40:13 PM
Really you should sacrifice Japan before Europe or parts of the US.
They're more civilized than the Mexicans and blacks that live in the South, and they're far more useful than the inhabitants of continental Europe.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.