News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 02, 2010, 03:43:39 PM
Just get your nation into shape one at a time.  Yeah you missed a big one but its not a game breaker and you'll get it in 30 years.  Focus on converting and getting your nation into shape. 

That is exactly what I am doing :P

This is like Katmai's first couple of games so you're not the only greenhorn so no more woe is me.   :P

:cry:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on March 02, 2010, 10:32:52 AM

Which buildings are good where? I know their effects, but it's sometimes difficult to decide whether a particular building would be cost-effective for a given province. Constable, for example - just how low can the direct tax be before +50% to it is too inefficient? And what's the difference of customs house which gives +5% to local tax? Or courthouses, are they ever any good, since provinces usually either have no RR, or have a minimum RR that cannot be reduced?

It depends on the building.  Workshops should be built everywhere, even colonies, as they are, essentially direct additions to the base tax of a province.  The other buildings are essentially basic math as to whether they're useful or not.  I build Constables everywhere, since 50% is a fairly good bonus.  Customs Houses, though, are simply not worth it except in your richest provinces--I built them anywhere making >10/month in tax and nowhere else.  I build courthouses everywhere, as there are relatively few things you can do to ensure RR stays down when War Exhaustion starts piling up--a courthouse will buy you that much more time when a really bad war comes around.

QuoteUnit types, do you pick and choose them based on your strategy? I'm talking about ones that are options for the same tech level, like tecrio/maurician infantry. Or do you pick one and stick with it? Are they all useful somewhere, or is one of them clearly better than the rest?

I take whichever is the best, mathematically, by adding up all the unit attributes save for maneuver, but that's usually only good for the first rank of units with muskets.  After that, you need to make a decision about whether you prefer defensively- or offensively-based units and stick with that, though you can change quickly (morale has to recover for a few months) so the decision isn't  huge, either way.

QuoteHow do you usually research? I tend to stick the entire income into one area, is that the best or do you divide between several?

I do balanced research with slightly higher investment in areas I want to advance in.  Government if a new Idea is soon to be available, Land and Naval for new units, etc.

QuoteNational ideas: Is this about right? http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/National_Idea_review
Should I ditch Superior Seamanship as Britain since it sucks, or wait until I can implement "The Fleet is our Wooden Wall" decision which requires it?

I would change it ASAP to something more useful.  If you really want the Wooden Wall bonus later on, you can take Seahawks as an NI which is vastly superior.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on March 02, 2010, 04:37:30 PM
QuoteNational ideas: Is this about right? http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/National_Idea_review
Should I ditch Superior Seamanship as Britain since it sucks, or wait until I can implement "The Fleet is our Wooden Wall" decision which requires it?

I would change it ASAP to something more useful.  If you really want the Wooden Wall bonus later on, you can take Seahawks as an NI which is vastly superior.

Only problem is that the decision requires both of these NIs, not just one. Although I guess -10% to ship construction speed isn't that huge?

Habbaku

Does it?  Sheesh.  That makes the decision a no-brainer, then--it's not worth getting.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Berkie is just good playing that aw shucks role

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 02, 2010, 03:43:39 PM
Just get your nation into shape one at a time.  Yeah you missed a big one but its not a game breaker and you'll get it in 30 years.  Focus on converting and getting your nation into shape. 

This is like Katmai's first couple of games so you're not the only greenhorn so no more woe is me.   :P

:yes:
I played one sp game as Navarre for like 60 years and then one Castille game so I had a clue to sub for Habbu (who if asked will say I still didn't)
:P

Habbaku

Quote from: ulmont on March 02, 2010, 10:23:03 AM
Ok, can I get a definitive list of the patch(es) and checksums you guys are using Sunday?

1) As to patches, is it the 27 February beta + the fixed French missions?
2) What's the checksum?
3) Additional programs needed - Hamachi and Steam (just for chat), right?  Can I get Steam without buying a game through it?

1) Yes to both.  Everyone involved in the game should patch to the 27th beta patch and get the French mission fix.  This means you.
2) CYLC.
3) Hamachi and Steam both, yes, though the latter just for pre-game chatting and in case we have to rehost.  You can get Steam without buying anything through it--just go to the website and download their client.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Kat, seeing as how Ulmont may or may not be able to sub, I think you should post on the EU 3 MP boards to try to scare someone up.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Two things:

I'll get the mission fix for whenever we play next.
I'll post at p'dox but most likely can't do that till tomorrow night my time.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Habbaku on March 02, 2010, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: ulmont on March 02, 2010, 10:23:03 AM
Ok, can I get a definitive list of the patch(es) and checksums you guys are using Sunday?

1) As to patches, is it the 27 February beta + the fixed French missions?
2) What's the checksum?
3) Additional programs needed - Hamachi and Steam (just for chat), right?  Can I get Steam without buying a game through it?

1) Yes to both.  Everyone involved in the game should patch to the 27th beta patch and get the French mission fix.  This means you.
2) EISH.
3) Hamachi and Steam both, yes, though the latter just for pre-game chatting and in case we have to rehost.  You can get Steam without buying anything through it--just go to the website and download their client.

I had to buy a game, any game, to be able to chat with any one.  Ended up buying stalker for $4, still annoying though.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on March 02, 2010, 05:38:38 PM
2) EISH.

With the 27 February beta  + French missions fix, after deleting map\cache, restarting to regenerate map\cache, restarting, I get CYLC.  This appears to be what others are getting based on this post:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10836993&postcount=60

Are you sure EISH wasn't pre-27 Feb beta and fix?

Habbaku

Yes, EISH was the pre-beta checksum.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on March 02, 2010, 09:29:50 PM
Yes, EISH was the pre-beta checksum.

Why tell me to look for a checksum for a version of the game I wouldn't be playing with?

What is the checksum I should have when I show up on Sunday, CYLC?

Habbaku

I was unaware the checksum changed.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

New checksum is CYLC.  I have Stalinized my previous post so that Ulmont can save his tears for something more important.

-J. R. R. Tolkien