And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: katmai on January 04, 2010, 06:46:33 PM
That sounds wonderful, even more so since I think i want to try Milan out :P

Once you're decided I will retract my threat and keep my fingers crossed no one saw it.  :P

katmai

Quote from: Slargos on January 04, 2010, 06:48:21 PM

Once you're decided I will retract my threat and keep my fingers crossed no one saw it.  :P

It's the dilemma of money vs manpower, but if i can keep from screwing up and make Italy or so then it should be profitable and have decent manpower i'd reckon.
But  both Milan and Holland seem like intriguing choices.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Slargos

Quote from: katmai on January 04, 2010, 06:51:39 PM
Quote from: Slargos on January 04, 2010, 06:48:21 PM

It's the dilemma of money vs manpower, but if i can keep from screwing up and make Italy or so then it should be profitable and have decent manpower i'd reckon.
But  both Milan and Holland seem like intriguing choices.

Short term, Milan is probably the better choice as none of your neighbours are really ready to form credible threats against you, and the universities really speed up your research. If you work quickly you should be able to annex most if Italy before France and Austria consolidate enough to stop you. Once Italy is yours, however, you're going to be pretty boxed in and expansion will be pretty much colonial only, unless you make a deal with someone to support you in crossing the Mediterranean and striking into western and central africa.  :secret:

Long term, Holland has a wide open venue of expansion to the east, which could produce some very interesting results if you can either make a deal with Austria to avoid the entire HRE coming down on you, or ally with France in order to secure the manpower to actually repel them. Not that France is in any condition to provide said support right now.  :D

Both alternatives certainly have their merits.

katmai

Italy and NA question: Roman Empire must be rebuilt! :P

Yeah I'll make up my mind tonight so I and fellow players can start making plans to have diplomacy/kick the shit out of me. :D

Slargos

Quote from: katmai on January 04, 2010, 07:01:09 PM
Italy and NA question: Roman Empire must be rebuilt! :P

If you can live with leaving Macedonia, Thracia, Egypt and Asia to the benign rule of Decimus Maximus Slaergustinus, I can throw all my considerable weight behind this noble pursuit.  :D

Habbaku

Provided Italy is willing to work out a deal over future expansion, Espana is willing to consider reasonable expansion into Tripoli and Tunisia, with a reminder that it will likely be simpler to stretch into the Balkans than elsewhere.

Then again, if Milan is serious enough, they can get some decent colonies overseas, too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on January 04, 2010, 09:57:51 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2010, 09:48:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2010, 07:19:49 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2010, 06:13:45 AM
Kleves, wtf? Why did you help Tamas? If the Burgundians had him on the run, it was time for you to strike and cripple your main competitor right off the bat.

Bah, he has had much more lucrative provinces to grab from Burgundy.
They can be taken later. It's unlikely there will be another opportunity as good as that one to take out France.

Reducing france in the first session would essentially break the game apart, though.

I've never been a big fan of that kind of powergaming.

Ottomans can easily for instance drive into Siberia and cripple Russia while a less incompetent France can reduce Spain by fucking up the wars against Aragon. It just makes the game a clusterfuck.
What's wrong with a clusterfuck? You don't think the Lancasters would have taken advantage of France getting beaten to a pulp by the Burgundians? That at least is historically plausible, unlike Ottomans in Siberia.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

:lol:  Tim questioned the ability of Languishtas to engage in diplomacy at the outset of this and is now encouraging us not to do so.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

I've played the Dutch before, so I think I'm gonna try Milan and see how i can do if that's okay with folks.

Habbaku

QuoteSpain requests that you become their vassal.
Spain requests that you become their vassal.
Spain has declared war on you.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

I vassal to no one...alliance is a different matter.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on January 05, 2010, 12:44:23 AM
:lol:  Tim questioned the ability of Languishtas to engage in diplomacy at the outset of this and is now encouraging us not to do so.
I have been proven wrong and been gravely disappointed.  -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

I've been discussing nation collapse over at Paradox. In my present game I just watched France collapse with 30% revolt risks. It started with a small war, which got bigger, which ended up with lots of battles, which created lots of WE which reduced France's War Capacity which meant that other countries jumped on the bandwagon which meant more battles which meant more WE which meant less WC which in time resulted in revolts. Those revolts combined with an end to France's Manpower led to the collapse in a heap of 30+% revolt risks. A.I. too stupid to not convert during a war.

This happens alot with the A.I. does it happen with MP?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on January 05, 2010, 01:57:31 AM
A.I. too stupid to not convert during a war.
Why would it want to convert in the middle of a war? Won't the stab hit just cause more problems?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Viking, it can happen, that is why I did give up against the über Emperor Burgundy eventually.

As for mexican Italy: I welcome my new neighbor, I am open for friendly relations assuming that he will be able to be a rightous ruler of his university-rich people and they stay content with his rule.

Regarding colonial ambitions from Italy: do keep naval supply range in mind, unless you conquer one of the islands from the spaniards, it will be a very late game thing for you.