News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Sounds fine with me, yeah my Gov is so high because i neglected to stay in the arms race with Solymr and Slargy and their lvl 15 LT.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

As promised...statistics and analysis time.  If any of the viewers of our little game want additional information, feel free to ask--I'll provide what I can.

First up, we have the comparison of province numbers.  Not a vital stat, in and of itself, but an important one to note as the various countries expand or contract in size.  As there have been no major wars between players short of the scuffle over Hungary a couple of sessions ago, everyone's done nothing but grow.  Naturally, with its colonial empire steadily stretching out (and with the dual conquests of the Aztec and Incan Empires), Castille is by far the largest in terms of land size.

Next, we have probably one of the most important barometers of success--the relative economies of each state.  Muscovy made it this time, and in a big way!  The annexation of Novgorod and the steady growth into the wild steppe country has given the Muscovite crown quite the economy--enough, even, to rival that of France and England.  Of course, as a reader will note, there is the bottom tier of Muscovy, France, Milan and England...and an entirely different grade of competition between the Ottomans and Spain for the wealthiest state, with Austria picking up a nice middle ground to bridge the gulf of rich and poor. 

The greatest gains were certainly made by Muscovy (174% growth!), Castille (130% growth), Milan (130% growth) and the Ottoman Turks (111% growth).  Austria made respectable gains (47%) while France and England had meager increases, at best (20% and 13%, respectively).

Next up, we have the naval comparison, which is about as lopsided as it was the last time.  England and Spain continue to lead the pack, with England's fleet dominating the seas--but can the English afford to compete with their Spanish cousins (the Trastamaras rule both crowns) while their economy stagnates?  Time will tell.

Lastly, we have the national army comparisons, along with manpower listings.  Castille has made moderate gains in manpower, but has doubled the size of her standing army while, unsurprisingly, others have remained relatively the same.  Except, that is, for France and Milan, who have both had their forces shrink in order to balance their budgets, and the Austrian-Ottoman rivalry, which has seen immense gains in size for both nations.  One can only wonder where the funding for all these arms are coming from--and if the Emperor can afford to keep up with the gold-flush Turk.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

What I have not listed, by the way, is the relative tech level of each country.  Generally-speaking, the major powers are all on par with a few exceptions.  Castille has Trade 15, whereas all the others are 9-11.  England has a 1 point naval lead, I believe, and Milan is in a league of its own in Government, having a 16 whereas the others are all 10-12.

Speaking of leagues of their own...the Austrian-Ottoman rivalry is by far the biggest worry for Europe.  Both powers are sitting at Land Tech 15-16, which is why their armies are already bulking up on artillery while the rest of the powers wonder what those things that make loud noises are good for.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Well i can see Austria can't claim to being the smallest Country anymore (woo go me!)
Ottomans sure as hell make a lot of coin
I look forward to UK taking on the Japanese carriers....er wrong time frame sorry
And lastly man o man can the Austrians and Turks put a lot of men on field of battle (and French and Muscovy aren't too shabby either)

Habbaku

Has anyone figured out if we actually do need to rehost the next time someone changes countries?

As it stands, I'm going to be able to declare Spain in two years, game time...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on January 25, 2010, 02:30:44 PM
Has anyone figured out if we actually do need to rehost the next time someone changes countries?

As it stands, I'm going to be able to declare Spain in two years, game time...

And I will be making Italy or so i hope...in about 26years game time which would be next session.

Slargos

EU3 MP claims it's not necessary to rehost, but tag switching MAY provoke some funky behaviour from cores and CBs, so we will rehost if it causes enough trouble, I suppose.

Tamas

We WILL rehost. I will not have some kinky bug destroy the game 5 years after the nation-forming.
The reason it took so long last time was that you guys zerg-rushed my lobby while it was still busy loading the saved game for me. We will have better organization next time.

katmai

Oh sure blame us, it can't be tamas's fault :rolleyes:

Habbaku

Speaking of fault, has anyone realized that the Turks have expanded to the very border of India?  Will any steps whatsoever be taken to deter them from such extravagant expansion this next session, or will the great powers sit idly by while the subcontinent becomes dominated by a new Caliphate?

Spain is more than willing to throw her power behind a suitable coalition aimed at freeing the Balkan states from the Turkish yoke and perhaps liberating the Holy Land in addition.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

:rolleyes:

I hardly think anyone will buy into your propaganda, Habbaku.

It's clear as daylight which way the Spanish economy is headed, and anyone who thinks they're served by attacking a hapless Ottoman Empire would have to be a complete imbecile.

katmai

Habbaku

:lol: While they are sure to buy your pleas of helplessness while you devour all Persia, Afghanistan, Baluchistan, the Caucasus, India...Not that those areas will improve your economy, oh, no!  You're doing it solely to help the poor brown pipple that live there.

-J. R. R. Tolkien