News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Starbucks tables - taking a free chair

Started by Martinus, January 03, 2010, 06:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assume you walk into into Starbucks and want to take a seat. Would you:

take a free seat at an otherwise occupied table.
1 (2.6%)
take a free seat at an otherwise occupied table, but only if there were no free tables.
17 (44.7%)
take a free seat only at an unoccupied table or at the bar.
19 (50%)
Sit next to them, and make silent farts.  Then walk away.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 03, 2010, 06:24:05 AM
But you lynch the blacks. :P

:secret:

He was insulting Polish intelligence there.

(Been looking for an excuse to use that smilie.  :D)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

If there's no free tables left I will - though I ask first.
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

If there are no free tables I'd go somewhere else or get takeaway.   Don't really want to sit in a starbucks anyway.

Viking

meh....

Don't drink coffee and I hate people I don't know.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: syk on January 03, 2010, 06:21:49 AM
People usually wouldn't sit down at an occupied table here either. Maybe if the place was full and there are only free chairs at occupied tables.

This.

Although I (and I think this goes for a lot of Swedes in general) will generally choose another establishment if there are no empty tables.

Gambrinus

Quote from: Slargos on January 03, 2010, 07:56:19 AM
Quote from: syk on January 03, 2010, 06:21:49 AM
People usually wouldn't sit down at an occupied table here either. Maybe if the place was full and there are only free chairs at occupied tables.

This.

Although I (and I think this goes for a lot of Swedes in general) will generally choose another establishment if there are no empty tables.
If there is a similar one in the vicinity. Btw, the same goes for an establishment with only empty tables.

Josquius

You sit at a table you own the table. Nobody else can sit there.
Even to ask you if they can sit there is very weird and only to be done in the most dire of circumstances. To do it without asking is insanity.
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Only if there is no empty table. And I would ask as well.

That been said, I do find weird how reserved you guys are in most circumstances. Guess it's the lack of sunshine.

Ed Anger

I'm amused by the fuckers wanting the ketchup bottle on the table. FUCK YOU, YOU WHORE. Ask the shitty staff, bitch.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Iormlund on January 03, 2010, 08:25:33 AM

That been said, I do find weird how reserved you guys are in most circumstances. Guess it's the lack of sunshine.

The personal sphere is a lot more powerful here than in a lot of other countries, it's just how we roll.

I think it's a general population density cultural thing more than anything else.

Sheilbh

I'm English and I agree it's weird.  If there's no empty table, you ask and you sit.  There's no point going to another cafe.

It also depends on the place.  In some places you're going to have to sit next to people - for example some caffs or places with just benches - in which case no need to ask.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 03, 2010, 08:38:52 AM

I'm English and I agree it's weird.  If there's no empty table, you ask and you sit.  There's no point going to another cafe.

It also depends on the place.  In some places you're going to have to sit next to people - for example some caffs or places with just benches - in which case no need to ask.

I'm American, and I agree, as well. If the place is packed and there is nowhere else to sit, I ask if I can join someone at a table that has room. I don't generally engage them in conversation unless they seem interested in it, though. Generally, I just eat my food/drink my coffee/read my book.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Monoriu

The generally accepted rule in HK is -

If there are empty tables, take them first.
If all the tables are occupied, AND the place looks like the kind of place where sharing of tables is allowed (e.g. food court, cheap place, the waiters direct people to share tables, Starbucks etc), ask politely if the empty seats are "available". 

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Monoriu on January 03, 2010, 10:55:52 AM
The generally accepted rule in HK is -

If there are empty tables, take them first.
If all the tables are occupied, AND the place looks like the kind of place where sharing of tables is allowed (e.g. food court, cheap place, the waiters direct people to share tables, Starbucks etc), ask politely if the empty seats are "available".

I think that is pretty much standard, just about anywhere in the civilized world...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

citizen k

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on January 03, 2010, 12:32:33 PM
I think that is pretty much standard, just about anywhere in the civilized world...

Marty is still learning.  ;)