News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Starbucks tables - taking a free chair

Started by Martinus, January 03, 2010, 06:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assume you walk into into Starbucks and want to take a seat. Would you:

take a free seat at an otherwise occupied table.
1 (2.6%)
take a free seat at an otherwise occupied table, but only if there were no free tables.
17 (44.7%)
take a free seat only at an unoccupied table or at the bar.
19 (50%)
Sit next to them, and make silent farts.  Then walk away.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Martinus

Ok, maybe it's me but I have encountered people - usually foreigners - who would attempt to take a seat at my table while there are other free tables, since I am alone and thus apparently would not mind to have someone at my table.

WTF is with that? How rude.  :mad:

So this question is aimed at determining whether we have people like this on this board too. :P

Martinus

I used Starbucks as an example of the type of establishment I mean - which is somewhere between McDonald's and a restaurant.

Caliga

In America virtually nobody is going to take a free seat at a table with a complete stranger.  I think here we'd assume such a person was mentally ill.  My understanding is that in some countries, people do that all the time though and it's cool.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2010, 06:19:44 AM
In America virtually nobody is going to take a free seat at a table with a complete stranger.  I think here we'd assume such a person was mentally ill.  My understanding is that in some countries, people do that all the time though and it's cool.

Another proof that Poland is like America. :P

We are religious, like individualism and the entrepreneurial spirit, tend towards mild libertarianism, distrust the government and dislike strangers. :P

syk

People usually wouldn't sit down at an occupied table here either. Maybe if the place was full and there are only free chairs at occupied tables.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on January 03, 2010, 06:20:30 AM
We are religious, like individualism and the entrepreneurial spirit, tend towards mild libertarianism, distrust the government and dislike strangers. :P
Interesting.  One thing we do not do in America, however, is put screen doors on submarines.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2010, 06:23:07 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 03, 2010, 06:20:30 AM
Interesting.  One thing we do not do in America, however, is put screen doors on submarines.  :)

But you lynch the blacks. :P

CountDeMoney

People who hang out at tables in coffee shops are attention whores anyway, so fuck 'em.

The Brain

Only the insane choose an occupied table over an unoccupied one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Weird behaviour by English standards too. What nationality are these foreigners you mention?

Martinus

Not sure. The guy looks Scandinavian to me. He is about 50-60, with a laptop and looks like some crazy hippy backpacker person.

The Brain

Martinus

The Brain

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2010, 06:19:44 AM
Well, if there were no unoccupied tables, I would, but I would ask the person already at the table if I they minded first.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point