News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The internet and you!

Started by dps, December 25, 2009, 10:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did you first get internet access in your home?

Before 1990 (gasp!)
0 (0%)
1990-1995
21 (40.4%)
1996-1999
22 (42.3%)
2000-2003
9 (17.3%)
2004-2007
0 (0%)
2008 or 2009
0 (0%)
Still don't have it (post from work, school, etc.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

dps

We may have had a poll about this on the old board.  I was just wondering, based on some replies in the thread about what were the last 2 decades.

Martinus

Monoriu

95.  One of my university profs made us look for stuff from her website, for homework.  If it was school related, my parents would give it to me, no questions asked. 

Josquius

Second half of the 90s I guess.
Though it was very spotty with long months without access. I remember my first internet with AOL advertised as being free- what they meant was just a free ISP, when the phone bill came in at well over £100 it was a horrific shock.
I even remember at one point there was even one big computerless period where I had to go the library all the time.
The internet was a precious commodity back then, something I could only get by waking up early on the weekends and trying for a long time to dial up- there was this ISP which was utterly free off peak though it was very in demand and hard to connect to. And of course my parents didn't like the phone line taken up.
Me and my friends conned BT into installing broadband in our area in my last year of school....so about....2002 I think.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

If you count Compuserve, 80's. But I didn't, so around '96-97.

I miss the old BBS's though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

syk

Razgovory

I think it was 1995, though I don't recall exactly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

I remember arguing about politics on alt.skinhead on usenet back before I graduated from high school - so I'm guessing 91 or 92.  I don't recall exactly.  I was checking out bbses too when I moved to Vancouver but they didn't do much for me.  So dial up connections probably in 92.

Razgovory

Never figured you for a Nazi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

I think it was 1995 or maybe 1996. That's when ISDN became available here.