News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The internet and you!

Started by dps, December 25, 2009, 10:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did you first get internet access in your home?

Before 1990 (gasp!)
0 (0%)
1990-1995
21 (40.4%)
1996-1999
22 (42.3%)
2000-2003
9 (17.3%)
2004-2007
0 (0%)
2008 or 2009
0 (0%)
Still don't have it (post from work, school, etc.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Ed Anger

Did anybody else take those free offers of such and such time, use it, then cancel the service. Then switch to another provider and use their free offer. Rinse and repeat.       

I did that for awhile. I mono'ed my way on the internet for awhile.  :Embarrass:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

I'm stuck trying to remember exactly what year.  Probably '95 I think.

It seems like ages ago, but I also remember surfing BBSes and thinking they were the shit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 25, 2009, 06:28:04 PM
Did anybody else take those free offers of such and such time, use it, then cancel the service. Then switch to another provider and use their free offer. Rinse and repeat.       
I thought it was impossible to actually cancel AOL back then. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

Early 90s, I think. I was in elementary school.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grallon

1991 - Gods below - my first chats on Unix, before any graphic interface!

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

sbr

When my ex-wife and I split up I moved in with my folks for a while and they had broadband, that was early '98.  I didn't use it much at all, didn't see the need.  As for having at my own place, that would be early '02 when the ex-wife and I moved back in together, for a short time.  :bleeding:

stjaba

Around 94 with Prodigy. Didn't get much use out of it with a 28.8 modem and a per hour charge.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2009, 01:25:27 PM
Never figured you for a Nazi.
The neo-Nazi stuff's only a section of skinhead culture.  In the 80s there was a very strong left-wing element among skinheads.  The Nazis and lefties alike shared a love for Jamaican music, I think.

Late 90s for me :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortal
IT WAS THE ONLY THING AVAILABLE OK.

My first ISP was Compuserve. I quickly switched to a small ISP who had a dial in node in my home town to reduce phone costs. Not that it helped my phone bill much. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on December 25, 2009, 10:13:27 PM
1991 - Gods below - my first chats on Unix, before any graphic interface!

G.

The question was for internet at home.  I think I was first on the internet at all in 1992 - I remember back then you had to be in 3rd year university, or in  one of some particular classes to get UNIX accounts (I took stats and was in 1st year).  :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Not long after I moved into my last place, so around 2001.

Camerus

1996, on a laptop so shitty, I had to constantly push in the power cable with my leg at all times, or it would suddenly turn off.  It was AOL.  Fun times.