News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Strikes Back Question

Started by Savonarola, December 24, 2009, 11:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The first time that you saw ESB did you believe Darth Vader when he told Luke he was Luke's father

Yes
32 (74.4%)
Nooooooo!
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

grumbler

Didn't think he was lying, and thought it a brilliant plot twist.  I was really looking forward to RotJ based on the great stuff that occurred in TESB.  Alas, that moment was the peak of SW goodness.  After that, it was all silly shit designed to make little kids buy toys.  :(

In a lot of ways, TESB does not belong in the SW series.  It was written and directed by outsiders who wanted to make serious, adult SF.  That was the first and last time that happened!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Why would Vader lie?

He's the icon of order and stability in the universe, and he has graciously given his opponent a chance to surrender instead of brutally murdering him like the rebel trash are wont to.

No, I didn't even consider then that he would lie, and I find the notion preposterous now.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on December 24, 2009, 07:05:29 PM
It was written and directed by outsiders who wanted to make serious, adult SF.  That was the first and last time that happened!  :lol:

Sex Trek: The Next Penetration never happened?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I believed him.

People who whine about Ewoks are faggots.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 24, 2009, 07:05:29 PM
In a lot of ways, TESB does not belong in the SW series.  It was written and directed by outsiders who wanted to make serious, adult SF.  That was the first and last time that happened!  :lol:

Just think how many more movies Lawrence Kasdan could've saved if he wanted to.

Syt

My first conscious exposure to SW was ROTJ when I was 7 (I was mightily pissed that my parents and adult sisters got to see the movie at the theater and I didn't, but I had the sticker book for it that told the story and toys and such, plus the Marvel comics). So yes, I knew when I finally watched ESB.

For my birthday in 1985 I got the novelizations of the movies. We didn't have a VCR at the time, so I had no means of watching the movies. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Jaron on December 24, 2009, 07:53:37 PM
Vader did lie to Lando. :(

Exactly, Lando was lucky he didn't alter the deal further.

I watched the end of TESB on Spike after having seen this thread earlier.  I was almost 7 when I saw Star Wars and was obsessed with it from then on.  I had very piece of Star Wars paraphernalia I could get my hands on: sticker books, action figures, comics, everything.  I saw TESB in a theater with my dad, and that moment, when Vader told Luke he was his father, is to this day, one of the most memorable moments of my life.  :nerd:  I almost crapped myself at the time and I literally could not sleep that night.  I could not be convinced that it was true until I had finally seen ROTJ.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

C.C.R.

I was seven & thought that Vader was lying.

Shit, given how gay that I thought Hayden Christensen was as Anakin I'm still hesitant to believe that Vader was telling the truth absent a paternity test...

DisturbedPervert

I knew before seeing the movie.  Everything was spoiled by the time I got old enough to watch.

PDH

I was 14. I remember debating this with friends. I was kinda pretty sure that maybe Vader was perhaps telling the truth. A bit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Bluebook

The only thing that makes I-III worth watching are the lightsaber-duels and the mass-combat scenes. In those two areas, the new episodes sweep the floor with the old ones.

CountDeMoney

I keep a Grand Moff Tarkin heroclix action figure on my desk, as an inspiration of proper corporate leadership.

Syt

The thread has inspired me to try to get some friends who like classic SW and have professed interest in trying p&p RPGs interested in the old D6 SW RPG from WEG. :nerd:

I think I still have Star Warriors buried somewhere. :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould