News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top PC game of all time?

Started by Galrion, December 23, 2009, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Jaron on December 24, 2009, 03:17:12 AM
Yeah. Whatever. You really have no valid point to make other than to point out games you used to like are still playable. Has nothing to do with them being the "greatest" of all time. Now shoo.

:lol:   

Lucidor

I'm going to throw in EU2 there.

syk

Lucidor

Quote from: syk on December 24, 2009, 04:25:03 AM
Elite is missing.
True, that one was great. They included TIE Fighter though. That was a great game. Anyone with experience from Freespace 2? There is supposedly a great modding community and the game is only 4 dollars from gog

katmai

I hope everybody discounts anything jaron "victoria is the bestest game evah" reviewer on amazon has to say.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on December 24, 2009, 04:30:36 AM
I hope everybody discounts anything jaron "victoria is the bestest game evah" reviewer on amazon has to say.

:face:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Lucidor on December 24, 2009, 04:30:10 AM
Quote from: syk on December 24, 2009, 04:25:03 AM
Elite is missing.
True, that one was great. They included TIE Fighter though. That was a great game. Anyone with experience from Freespace 2? There is supposedly a great modding community and the game is only 4 dollars from gog

for all your Freespace needs:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php

Josquius

I never have finished xcom. I always lose interest as I start attacking alien bases.

The big yeys from me on the list; Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate, Civ.
Half Life is...iffy. Half Life sucks but TFC and DoD are amazing.

They seem a bit mixed up on the point of the list though; sometimes they include games which were amazing for their time (xcom, sim city over a latter version) and others they go for the newest and actually best one (civ 4 over 2)

And no Frontier Elite? WTF. Die heathens.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Lucidor on December 24, 2009, 03:57:01 AM

:bleeding:

Sorry, but again this is bullshit. EU2 was a cool game but I would be surprised if it was in the Top 100 PC games of all time, lest alone the Top PC Game of all time.

Martinus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 24, 2009, 03:15:12 AM
Quote from: Jaron on December 24, 2009, 03:14:28 AM
Okay? I can still play hop scotch too but that doesn't mean at this point in my life I'd still consider it a great way to spend an hour.

:huh:

Edit:  Oh right.  Jaron.  Nevermind!

Jaron is right. In fact I haven't seen anything he said in this thread which would be objectionable or untrue.

Camerus

QuoteHave you ever wondered what it would be like to rule a nation during the cultured Victorian era? I know I have, and now thanks to Paradox entertainment we all have our chance.

Running a nation is no easy business, but with many options available to you, why not give it a go? Ruling from the mid 19th century to early 20th century, it is possible to establish a colonial empire, gain land in the civilized continent of Europe, mayhap to save the decaying Ottoman empire?

This has to be one of the most fun games out there, and I think it will exceed even the acclaimed Europa Universalis series. It is INDEED a good purchase if you are a fan of strategy games or history.

It is also an excellent learning tool as if teaches 19th century history in an amusing game setting.

J.

Lucidor

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 07:31:04 AM

Sorry, but again this is bullshit. EU2 was a cool game but I would be surprised if it was in the Top 100 PC games of all time, lest alone the Top PC Game of all time.

That's one opinion.

dps

In sales, no, I doubt it's in the Top 100.  But when it comes to quality, well, I probably wouldn't put it in the Top 10 either, because when it was first released it was so buggy (it didn't really become a great game until the 5th or 6th patch), but it's in the Top 100 easily.

God, though, that's a horrible list.  No Master of Orion, no Colonization, no War in Russia, nothing from The Elder Scrolls series, nor from the Heroes of Might and Magic series, no sports games at all.

The Larch

X Com is the shiznit, I don't know if it's #1 of all time but it's a friggin' great game. I must have played like half of that list, and I still miss some. I'd add more graphic adventures (Monkey Island 1 and 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max, Shadow of the Comet), Panzer General, Masters of Orion, Civ II, Colonization and, of course, Championship/Football Manager.

Sahib

Are we talking solely about sales/popularity? Because I'm pretty sure Citizen Kane isn't the world's biggest blockbuster yet it tops most top films list. EU2 was certainly very good and groundbreaking game (ok, EU1 was but it's practically the same thing) so I don't see why it shouldn't be on the list.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever