Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2009, 12:53:42 PM
Today's headlines: "Auschwitz guards replaced following the theft". :bleeding:
To the gas chambers with them!  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2009, 12:52:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2009, 12:48:44 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2009, 12:45:16 PM
Btw, I worked my ass off writing up that shit on Polish traditions and noone even commented. :(

:hug:

It sounds quite similar to a traditional Ukrainian Christmas.  I once dated a girl who had immigrated from Ukraine, and went over to her parents place for a traditional 12 meatless dishes.  Lots of fish of course.  The one thing that sticks out to me was the kutya (sp?), the sweet grain dish.

In Poland kutya means the honey-and-poppy dish I mentioned. :)

Ah, thanks.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2009, 12:53:42 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 23, 2009, 12:51:17 PM
Btw, I worked my ass off writing up that shit on Polish traditions and noone even commented. :(

We're not talking to you until you  put back the Arbeit Mach Frei sign. :mad:

Today's headlines: "Auschwitz guards replaced following the theft". :bleeding:

That's got to be awkward when introducing yourself socially.

Q. So what line of work are you in?
A. Well, you see, I'm a guard at Aushwitz...

frunk

Our family's celebration follows many of the same traditions, from my Mom's (Polish) side.  The mandatory dishes are:

Mushroom Soup (no beet thank goodness)
Apples and Rice (taken from my Dad's side)
Prunes and Barley
Pierogi
Spanakopita (more recent addition, pilfered from my brother in law's family)
Cod Fish Balls (ethnic New England combined with the need for fish and my brother's distaste of most forms)
Holiday Cookies

Usually there's some other random other dishes thrown in.  Afterwards we sing a few Christmas carols before opening presents. 

Barrister

All you borscht haters can go straight to hell.

Admiral Yi

I have not inqured into the entire menu but know that it will include a Honey Baked Ham (tr), and almost certainly green bean casserole, rolls, smashed pertaters, gravy, salad.  Pies for dessert, don't know the specifics.

I went with my brother to pick up the Honey Baked yesterday after Avatar.  There was a cop there because they do so much Christmas business and have mounds of cash sitting around.

Sheilbh

I found it interesting :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Christmas Eve Dinner this year is:

Onion Soup

Barbequed Turkey Breast, rubbed with maple sugar, basted with maple syrup and smoked over maple chips.  (It's as Canadian a turkey as possible, given the circumstances.)
Stuffing with sage and dried blueberries
Baked Cabbage
Temparillo Wine

Pears
St. Andre Cheese
Champagne

The wop version of Turrón

Plum Brandy
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

syk

Grünkohl mit Kassler und Bregenwurst!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassler
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bregenwurst

And potatoes, it's a German meal after all.

Probably some dry red wine with that.

Syt

Quote from: syk on December 23, 2009, 02:34:36 PM

God, I miss Grünkohl so much. With sweet potatoes, Kassler and Schweinebacke. Plus mustard. Plus Beer and Korn. Austrian cuisine has me very happy, but this is about the only thing that's really missing (found Zwiebelmett in the meantime, though packaged), and Tafelspitz is just not the same. :cry:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

syk

Quote from: Syt on December 23, 2009, 02:40:19 PM
Quote from: syk on December 23, 2009, 02:34:36 PM

God, I miss Grünkohl so much. With sweet potatoes, Kassler and Schweinebacke. Plus mustard. Plus Beer and Korn. Austrian cuisine has me very happy, but this is about the only thing that's really missing (found Zwiebelmett in the meantime, though packaged), and Tafelspitz is just not the same. :cry:
:hug:
I can sooo understand that. Everybody else will be put off by the green mess I bet.

Admiral Yi

What's the thing that looks like a big slab of fat?

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 23, 2009, 01:35:40 PM
I found it interesting :)

What's interesting is that a lot of the dishes (especially the fish ones) also feature quite strongly in the Jewish cuisine.

Caliga

Ok, so I just went back and read your post, Marti.  The entire nation of Poland suffers from OCD, I take it?  That's just super. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

syk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2009, 02:44:51 PM
What's the thing that looks like a big slab of fat?
Big slab of fat, probably Bauchfleisch (pork belly). Ignore it. Kassler, the stuff we're eating is the piece of meat in the back.