News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Christmas Dinner

Started by Sheilbh, December 23, 2009, 10:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2009, 12:20:09 PM
My tourtiere on Christmas Eve was nixed - our roommate wanted to make her 'traditional' Christmas Eve dinner.  It turns out she's making lasagna. :blink: WTF - she's Ojibway, and her traditional Christmas Eve dinner is lasagna?
LOL does she say: "How, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh" ???
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Last night was pyrogy-making night.  Or rather, it was my wife's pyrogy making night - I made supper (hamburgers) and helped clean up.

For Christmas Day we'll be having turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, caesar salad (:blink:) and pie.  I'll probably be making the turkey.

My tourtiere on Christmas Eve was nixed - our roommate wanted to make her 'traditional' Christmas Eve dinner.  It turns out she's making lasagna. :blink: WTF - she's Ojibway, and her traditional Christmas Eve dinner is lasagna?

I offered to make holoptsi, another Barrister Christmas fave, but everyone else said 'no thanks'. :cry:

Uh, Lasagna? WTF is that shit. Throw her out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Last night was pyrogy-making night.  Or rather, it was my wife's pyrogy making night - I made supper (hamburgers) and helped clean up.

For Christmas Day we'll be having turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, caesar salad (:blink:) and pie.  I'll probably be making the turkey.

Set the table for 5th person, i'm headed east!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Martinus

Also, I will probably celebrate tomorrow with a Discordian Christmas Breakfast involving beef and pork. (Polish catholics fast on Christmas eve, so this is a fuck-you to Catholic, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and vegetarian Buddhists). :P

Grey Fox

What sort of beef? In sausages?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 23, 2009, 12:39:16 PM
btw, what's holopsti?

Ukrainian cabbage rolls.  No idea how to spell it though, only ever heard it spoken.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on December 23, 2009, 12:38:10 PM

Set the table for 5th person, i'm headed east!

Tracy's pyrogies are worth the drive. :wub:

Martinus

Btw, I worked my ass off writing up that shit on Polish traditions and noone even commented. :(

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2009, 12:45:16 PM
Btw, I worked my ass off writing up that shit on Polish traditions and noone even commented. :(

:nelson:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

:hug:

It sounds quite similar to a traditional Ukrainian Christmas.  I once dated a girl who had immigrated from Ukraine, and went over to her parents place for a traditional 12 meatless dishes.  Lots of fish of course.  The one thing that sticks out to me was the kutya (sp?), the sweet grain dish.

Caliga

Sorry Marti, we forgot Poland.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

We're not talking to you until you  put back the Arbeit Macht Frei sign. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2009, 12:48:44 PM

:hug:

It sounds quite similar to a traditional Ukrainian Christmas.  I once dated a girl who had immigrated from Ukraine, and went over to her parents place for a traditional 12 meatless dishes.  Lots of fish of course.  The one thing that sticks out to me was the kutya (sp?), the sweet grain dish.

In Poland kutya means the honey-and-poppy dish I mentioned. :)

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on December 23, 2009, 12:51:17 PM

We're not talking to you until you  put back the Arbeit Mach Frei sign. :mad:

Today's headlines: "Auschwitz guards replaced following the theft". :bleeding: