Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2021, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2021, 08:04:22 AM
5% inflation in the US of A.

Seems like limitless money printing, err. asset purchases by the Fed, can't continue for too long now. Button down your hatches and pay attention when gambling like a retard.

I feel weirdly assured by this. I felt like that somehow the basic laws of economics didn't apply anymore. We have basically been trying to force inflation for a very long time, at least 15 years, and have been mostly unsuccessful at it.

So maybe this means reality still works.

Or maybe not. All this stuff eventually starts to feel unreal like wizards control the economy or something.
I think the inflation we're experiencing now is due to pent up demand for goods.  I think the lack of inflation we've been experiencing for a while now is because it reinvented itself as an asset bubble.  The rich like to spend money on speculative financial instruments rather than on consumer goods, and they've been the ones collecting most of the increase in income.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2021, 03:09:55 PM

I think the inflation we're experiencing now is due to pent up demand for goods.  I think the lack of inflation we've been experiencing for a while now is because it reinvented itself as an asset bubble.  The rich like to spend money on speculative financial instruments rather than on consumer goods, and they've been the ones collecting most of the increase in income.

I think that you are right, and that this is further evidence that trickle-down economics is total bullshit, and that income redistribution would be good for everyone (though holders of stocks would take a loss in the short term as there would be fewer rich morons bidding up stocks because they already own everything they want to own).  More money to the 90% would improve consumption and thus employment.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 12, 2021, 12:51:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2021, 03:09:55 PM

I think that you are right, and that this is further evidence that trickle-down economics is total bullshit, and that income redistribution would be good for everyone (though holders of stocks would take a loss in the short term as there would be fewer rich morons bidding up stocks because they already own everything they want to own).  More money to the 90% would improve consumption and thus employment.

In general I agree, but I think "trickle down" was originally meant to mean low taxes and in general not interfering with business incomes, as opposed to the ceaseless money printing and handing to banks that's been taking place the past decade. (I know it's not money given to them for free usage but rather asset purchases to keep them safe and stable but clearly that stability has been used to free up regular funds for risky investments and such).

Josquius

Viacom is rumbling.

Plumetted perhaps a few months ago but seems profitable and stable. Maybe plumetted too much.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Viacom crashed because it was a major holding of Archegos, the family firm that went bust and generated huge losses for Nomura, UBS, etc.

It's likely rising again on takeover speculation. 

alfred russel

Gambling goes here, right? So the stupid political gambling site I'm using has a discussion feature, which seems most useful for running pump and dump schemes. One of the markets to bet on is how many rounds it will take to determine the winner in the NYC Mayoral Race Democratic Primary (it is using ranked choice voting). Some dude just went insane before the election putting up a zillion arguments that the number of rounds would be exactly 11, which seemed both oddly specific and unlikely. Assumed he was just pumping and dumping.

So the election has happened, and while the number of rounds is still to be determined and could be 11, the odds for 11 have cratered.

So I looked this guy up in the discussion of that betting market to troll him about being stupid by picking 11, and he posted this.

QuoteI'm sorry

I became a caricature of the very thing I hated, or claimed to. I spoke of truth yet manufactured a lie. I berated others as stupid when it was I who felt stupid.

I recently got wiped out in crypto. Yes, btfo. I actually owe money because it dropped faster than the margin call could hit. I don't expect most to care but maybe a few will take some satisfaction karma was balanced.

Looked into AA today. I can see what I became and I don't like him. I will come correct if I return.

Gray, I owe you $100. It will be in your PayPal exactly one week from today.

Mea culpa, degenerates.

I guess he made a side bet with Gray on this thing....I decided not to troll him. I guess when you are running unsuccessful pump and dump schemes on the number of rounds to determine a winner in the NYC mayoral democratic primary, that is a really low point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 25, 2021, 03:22:33 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 25, 2021, 12:35:38 PM
Gambling goes here, right?

Wrong.

Lots of talk about making quick profits on what amounts to day trading - what is the difference?

Admiral Yi

Josquius

I saw this collection of stock screeners-
https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/lglskh/collection_of_finviz_screeners/

And thought some sounded pretty interesting so I've set up an experiment with them of setting up (fake money) portfolios from them and checking back in regularly to see which performs best.
Early doors yet, I've only done one iteration, need to setup more portfolios on different representative days... but number 5 is seeming to be the best performer. 12.62% growth over a month. Not bad. 15 is in second.
Number 6 worst. -8.24%. 3 not far behind.

Any thoughts?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exa28omOTg

Covered call ETF.  QYLD yields 11.5% selling covered calls against the NASDAQ 100 index.  However unlike regular dividend names or ETFs the dividends in QYLD will not grow over time.

Admiral Yi

Tesla going nutty again.  My $810 call got assigned, so I employed "the wheel" strategy and sold the $810 put.  Surprisingly high premium for an option $200 out of the money.

That leaves me 70 shares of Tesla.  Toying with the idea of unloading the 20 shares in my taxed account and rolling that money into a dividend ETF.

Tonto, you're the other Teslanaire here.  HODLing?  Bailing?

Robinhood also dropped so looks like my put might get assigned there too.