Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Uhm no, not all and any price rises are short squeezes.

A short squeeze is when the price rises high enough (by accident or by deliberate action) that a lot of short positions are closing their shorts meaning buying shares meaning pushing the price higher meaning prompting more shorts to cover etc.

If you are shorting a stock and it closes the day 0.5% up you are not being short squeezed.

Admiral Yi

OK.  I looked it up and you're right.  There has to be a cycle of shorts covering their positions.

Threviel

Apparently CLNE is up 30ish percent in pre-market. This is just stupid.

Tamas

Yeah seeing what was going down I jumped in to a number of idiotic memes, all of them will be up on a range of 30-60% on open:
-CLNE
-WISH
-AHT

I also still have CLOV. I am going to keep CLOV probably and take profits (large percentage-wise, small in total as I didn't risk serious money) on all the above which fails to rally immediately onward.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I am out of WISH on breakeven and CLOV on a nice gain. AHT has just about breakeven stop loss set

My next retard bet is... Tootsie Roll.

Threviel

Congrats! I'm holding on for dear life on CLNE. Or rather I've laid a sell order at 15.00.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Threviel on June 08, 2021, 02:39:42 PM
So.. I've been reading wallstreetbets for several minutes. Apparently CLNE might be the next big thing. It's a utilities company dealing in environmentally friendly gas and it might have an ok future. It does seem to be reasonably priced, a far bit below its maximum.

I believe the business model is based on supplying the transport sector which makes it highly speculative.  But at least there is the theoretical possibility of a growth story as opposed to say Gamestop.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

I shall remain with CLNE for a while yet. Hopefully this meme thing goes somewhere, if not its business as usual for me, it has a bit of rise to come should Biden lean heavier into support for the environment. Which I think he will.

WISH I hadn't heard of before but looking into it...It seems to be at a decent price right now. The lowest analyst target is above its current value. Very tempted there.,
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Wish, if we are talking about the buy-cheap-stuff-from-China-company is a company whose services I use sometimes. I recently had a wrong delivery and they fixed that in an excellent manner without any kind of fuss. Good impression.

Tamas

Quote from: Threviel on June 10, 2021, 05:43:23 AM
Wish, if we are talking about the buy-cheap-stuff-from-China-company is a company whose services I use sometimes. I recently had a wrong delivery and they fixed that in an excellent manner without any kind of fuss. Good impression.

Yeah it's them but its a shitty company with a shitty half-scam service, and they are riddled with lawsuits.

The reason they are a meme is because of all the short interest, and everyone is in search of the next GME. One thing I think people are missing is that GME -if it ever was just a retail thing- worked because everyone concentrated on it. Now people are chasing like 8 different stocks criss-crossing around them.

BTW I think CLNE belongs to this group so I wouldn't consider it an investment. Plenty other legit renewables ETFs and companies to put your money into.

Tamas

5% inflation in the US of A.

Seems like limitless money printing, err. asset purchases by the Fed, can't continue for too long now. Button down your hatches and pay attention when gambling like a retard.

The Minsky Moment

The inflation numbers since March 2020 are all FUBAR because the consumption baskets are off and because of the wild supply and demand swings in the early shutdown months.  Plus the aftershocks on supply chains are still continuing, as anyone in the market for GPUs knows.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2021, 08:04:22 AM
5% inflation in the US of A.

Seems like limitless money printing, err. asset purchases by the Fed, can't continue for too long now. Button down your hatches and pay attention when gambling like a retard.

I feel weirdly assured by this. I felt like that somehow the basic laws of economics didn't apply anymore. We have basically been trying to force inflation for a very long time, at least 15 years, and have been mostly unsuccessful at it.

So maybe this means reality still works.

Or maybe not. All this stuff eventually starts to feel unreal like wizards control the economy or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2021, 06:16:13 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 10, 2021, 05:43:23 AM

Yeah it's them but its a shitty company with a shitty half-scam service, and they are riddled with lawsuits.

The reason they are a meme is because of all the short interest, and everyone is in search of the next GME. One thing I think people are missing is that GME -if it ever was just a retail thing- worked because everyone concentrated on it. Now people are chasing like 8 different stocks criss-crossing around them.

BTW I think CLNE belongs to this group so I wouldn't consider it an investment. Plenty other legit renewables ETFs and companies to put your money into.

CLNE Rose from sub $1 to above 10 due to natural factors. I bought into it as part of my Biden is going to win bet.

But true on gme. A lot of talk at the time about silver being touted and what are they going to hit next was claimed by the WSB lot to be inventions of the media specifically to distract.

██████
██████
██████