Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 12, 2021, 04:41:38 PM
I did. I'm pretty happy so far.

My son just told me that his mining is making more than the last job he had. Granted it was a student summer job - but still it amazes me he found a way to combine old computer parts we had in the garage with hydro power to make a constant stream of money.

Habbaku

That's pretty awesome. I had looked into mining equipment some time ago, but it's not really feasible in my area even at current prices unless I'm stealing my neighbor's electricity. I think I calculated the payback period some months ago at ~3 years, all in a volatile environment.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Etherium is the one where its based on giving up spare hard drive space rather than GPU burning right? This is what you're son is doing?
Have heard of a fair few doing well off getting in on that early.
But that hd prices have blown up because of it :(
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

No, Ether is still based on GPU performance at the moment, but is shifting over in the next cough cough.

Hopefully, at that point, the GPU prices will begin to come down.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Hopefully crypto prices will come crashing down soon.  Some of us need GPUs to do useful calculations.  :rolleyes:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2021, 11:24:43 AM
Etherium is the one where its based on giving up spare hard drive space rather than GPU burning right? This is what you're son is doing?

No it is definitely GPU intensive.  He started out a few years ago using old GPUs and some old computer parts we were going to send to the recyclers.  He got into it as a hobby without much of a thought of making any money at it and Ether was not worth much back then. He just wanted to see if he could make it all work.  He also wanted to teach himself how to do the necessary coding.  He sold some of his Ether to upgrade his GPUs.  If he could get his hands on the newest models (I can't remember what that is) he would be doing even better. 

@ Habs, yeah, having access to cheap hydro here definitely makes it much more viable.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on May 17, 2021, 11:33:16 AM
Hopefully crypto prices will come crashing down soon.  Some of us need GPUs to do useful calculations.  :rolleyes:

If it goes up enough, I'll buy you a GPU at market price as compensation.  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Hopefully governments will regain (come up with?) some sanity, and outlaw cryptocurrencies outright.  :sleep:

crazy canuck

I don't think you can blame crypto for the shortage of superconductors.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forrester/2021/05/06/the-global-chip-shortage-wont-ease-soon/?sh=2f72ba3185f4

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on May 17, 2021, 12:21:43 PM

If it goes up enough, I'll buy you a GPU at market price as compensation.  :P
I'd like an RTX 3090, any manufacturer will do.  Thanks!  :)

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on May 07, 2021, 04:57:43 AM
So, like, if you know that a company you have no affiliation with whatsoever is planning some major expansions, do you buy their stocks or hold off because the money-spending will make the price fall?

Asking for a friend.
If they plan a major expansion, the markets will react favorably before that will increase future sales&profits (well, it is expected, at the very least).  I'm a little late, but buy now if you have the tip and not many others know about it and there's no risk you are doing insider trading (as you stated you have no link with).

Stock markets often react on rumours, founded or not.  By the time the announcement arrives, there might be a significant gain on the stock, if not that many people already knew about it and bought the stock already.   If there's a trend toward asking to buy more&more of this stock, the price will increase gradually up 'til the day of the announcement.

Depending on how big the rumour/hype was vs how big the real investement is, the stock will more upward or downward accordingly.  I can't give you an estimate of how much the stock can appreciate or depreciate though, even if I knew the company.  But I can tell you in your place, I would buy it, if I had the liquidities for it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2021, 11:24:43 AM
No, that's Chia.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.