Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 16, 2021, 03:49:42 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2021, 03:40:17 PM
I think this is what happens during the last stages of a bubble.

Pandemic, major power relations getting worse, nationalism and authoritarianism on the rise, the characteristics of a bubble present in the stock market and real estate (and elsewhere?).

Sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder how concerned I should be....?

Margret Macmillan gave a lecture on the similarities to the run up to WWI in the pre-pandemic days - I wonder what she would say now about WWII....

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2021, 03:31:05 PM
My first thought was a boiler room.

Anyone ever gotten a boiler room call?
I wonder how much of this useless pump and dump these days is done via that traditional way and how much via the Internet.
Certainly seen a lot of posts trying to pump useless stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2021, 03:11:54 AM
I wonder how much of this useless pump and dump these days is done via that traditional way and how much via the Internet.
Certainly seen a lot of posts trying to pump useless stuff.

How would you assign "the rip" with that system?  With a traditional boiler room each guy on a phone gets the commission for the sales he generates.

Unless maybe you just assign one salesman/con man to each given stock, and whatever sales there are for that stock all the rip goes to that one guy.

Josquius

I think it's just based on owning a lot yourself before you start bigging it up then selling at the top.
No doubt much deeper stuff going on that I've not had the Interest or time to research into.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I'm a little confused.  What do you mean by traditional pump and dump?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

one of my play money picks is going to be listed on Nasdaq tomorrow and its value is going up in anticipation - so now my loses don't look as bad as before (all my other picks are still under water).  But this one will probably pull me into the black.

Habbaku

:cheers:

My play money picks continue to perform well. A little too well...  :ph34r:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

So, like, if you know that a company you have no affiliation with whatsoever is planning some major expansions, do you buy their stocks or hold off because the money-spending will make the price fall?

Asking for a friend.

Tonitrus

Josquius

The dollar seems to have collapsed in recent months too which doesn't help.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I hope you kept your Ethereum investments Habs  :)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Did my weekly tabulation and I gave back all my 2021 gains.  So class half full I guess.