Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2021, 08:08:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2021, 08:05:03 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 29, 2021, 07:52:55 PM
Can't you buy stocks a zillion ways? What's the big deal about this app?

You need to ask someone who buys into the "Robinhood protecting their hedge fund buddies" narrative.

Hey it doesn't matter why they were doing it. Freezing trading in a stock is one thing, only allowing sales and not buys is market manipulation.

It absolutely does matter why they were doing it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2021, 05:51:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2021, 04:20:24 PM
What are the mechanisms to deal with the voting rights associated to the stock being loaned-sold-bought-resold?

The simple answer is that if a share has voting rights attached to it, whoever is the owner of the share has the rights attached to the share.  I am not sure what you are asking.

Who's the owner of a loaned share that has been sold & resold.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2021, 09:27:50 PM

My guess would be the person who bought it from the shortseller, but that's just a guess.  I do have shares that have been lent, but I haven't paid attention to voting rights and proxy votes in years.  Last one that piqued my interest was Elon's quadrillion dollar bonus only salary proposal, which I voted for and which got shot down.

Admiral Yi

Man, I wish reddit would stick it to the man with one of the stocks I own.  :(

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgfwa0WV1Jo

Discussion of why Robin Hood suspended/limited trading related to clearing and margin requirements blah blah.  I don't really understand it and I doubt many people will pay attention to it.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2021, 09:35:54 PM

Pick worse stocks.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on January 29, 2021, 09:56:32 PM
Pick worse stocks.

I had the same thought.  I need to buy more crummy overvalued stocks that short sellers are going to attack.

Though to be fair Tesla has been a consistent short seller target.  Maybe I already mentioned this, but folks on CNBC call Tesla "the wood chipper" because of how it eats short sellers up.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2021, 09:50:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgfwa0WV1Jo

Discussion of why Robin Hood suspended/limited trading related to clearing and margin requirements blah blah.  I don't really understand it and I doubt many people will pay attention to it.

Nah, most are too busy posting memes that haven't been fact-checked and are too eager to attack RH et al as manipulating the market without having much evidence either way.

The lawsuit has been filed. My prediction? It will go nowhere.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2021, 09:27:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2021, 05:51:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2021, 04:20:24 PM
What are the mechanisms to deal with the voting rights associated to the stock being loaned-sold-bought-resold?

The simple answer is that if a share has voting rights attached to it, whoever is the owner of the share has the rights attached to the share.  I am not sure what you are asking.

I see.  It isn't actually a loan - its called a borrowed share in the sense that shares need to be given back (but obviously not exactly the ones that were given since those shares were sold by the short seller).   So when the short seller sells them, the buyer of those shares now owns all the rights attached to those shares. 

DGuller

I'm wondering about another thing about short selling.  Let's say Shitco has 1000 shares outstanding, and I own one of it.  I lend it to a short seller, then I buy it back from him, and then I lend it back to him again, and then buy it back again.  Let's say we repeat the cycle 1998 more times.  Am I now long for 200% of the company?  What does the short seller do when the time comes to give me back all the stock I lent him (I'm not selling it, I have a sentimental attachment to Shitco).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on January 29, 2021, 10:19:16 PM
Nah, most are too busy posting memes that haven't been fact-checked and are too eager to attack RH et al as manipulating the market without having much evidence either way.

Mainstream media fake news.  Covering up for their corporate buddies.

AOC is going to be a treat at the hearings.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2021, 09:35:54 PM

Spend time on reddit. You would have direct access to thousands of buyers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 29, 2021, 10:19:16 PM
The lawsuit has been filed. My prediction? It will go nowhere.

If RH did nothing wrong then that is how it should go. We'll see.

Quote from: Habbaku on January 29, 2021, 08:38:49 PM
It absolutely does matter why they were doing it.

But why though? I mean we have all these people saying investors shouldn't be able to buy stocks because um...they use reddit. That doesn't make much sense to me. Either individual investors can buy whatever stock they want or they cant.

Neither does a platform should be able to take a captive part of the market and dictate what stocks they can buy.

Were these hedge fund investors blowing billions on shitty Wallstreet bets, and now asking for tax dollar bailout, are they restricted in what they can do?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."