Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2021, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2021, 01:51:03 PM

I've seen way too many examples of stock market shenanigans crushing companies that might otherwise have lived on.

Can you name any that resulted from shorting stock?
I said stock market shenanigans.
Vaux is the big one that really hurts for me personally. Literally ripped a hole in the middle of Sunderland which 20 years later still hasn't been fixed.
Then there was 2008 and all of its casualties...
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2021, 09:23:55 AM
Totally agreed with Tamas.
Not many people hate the rich just for being rich. Musk got to where he is for actual innovation and clever marketing. He is really trying to push forward civilization with his space stuff too. This is absolutely the kind of thing that should see success for you.
As opposed to the shorters who are looking to profit from driving a company that employs 10s of thousands of largely poor young people into the ground.

I certainly don't hate the rich for being rich.  I hate them for being smarter than me.  Always showing off their knowledge.  Also, I hate the ones that dumber than me cause those assholes just want to pull me down with them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2021, 04:20:24 PM
What are the mechanisms to deal with the voting rights associated to the stock being loaned-sold-bought-resold?

The simple answer is that if a share has voting rights attached to it, whoever is the owner of the share has the rights attached to the share.  I am not sure what you are asking.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2021, 05:32:59 PM

You also said this

"At the same time there are those who actively gamble on their failing. And when you've billions resting on companies going under its in your interest to make sure they do. "

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2021, 05:32:59 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2021, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2021, 01:51:03 PM

I've seen way too many examples of stock market shenanigans crushing companies that might otherwise have lived on.

Can you name any that resulted from shorting stock?
Vaux is the big one that really hurts for me personally. Literally ripped a hole in the middle of Sunderland which 20 years later still hasn't been fixed.
Then there was 2008 and all of its casualties...

I don't know anything about Vaux, but the story in 2008 generally revolves around the mortgage market and debt market, not the stock market.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Yeah, what is Vaux?  Googling gives me a town in France.  Vauxhall?

Zoupa

Can't you buy stocks a zillion ways? What's the big deal about this app?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on January 29, 2021, 07:52:55 PM

no transactional fees.

Admiral Yi

You need to ask someone who buys into the "Robinhood protecting their hedge fund buddies" narrative.

Valmy

Well not when you have your money in an app and that is how you buy and trade stocks. You would have to find a completely different way instantly and by that time maybe the position you wanted is no longer available.

But it was not just Robinhood, other stock trading services like TD Ameritrade are also in on it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2021, 08:05:03 PM

You need to ask someone who buys into the "Robinhood protecting their hedge fund buddies" narrative.

Hey it doesn't matter why they were doing it. Freezing trading in a stock is one thing, only allowing sales and not buys is market manipulation.

The Larch

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2021, 08:08:27 PM
Hey it doesn't matter why they were doing it. Freezing trading in a stock is one thing, only allowing sales and not buys is market manipulation.

Isn't the point of market manipulation usually to profit somehow?