News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Many Countries Appear Batshit?

Started by Queequeg, April 01, 2009, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I was watching one of my favorite small Simpsons clips, a fairly accurate (if satirical) take on the Japanese Commercial ( http://it.truveo.com/The-Simpsons-Japanese-Commercial/id/1609330229 JOIN ME OR DIE, CAN YOU DO ANY LESS!) when I started wondering if Japanese and American cultures are so different that they appear batshit to us (meaning that Chinese and Indian commercials might also appear batshit), but to be totally honest my experience with Japan leads me to believe it possess a special kind of batshitness. 

Can anyone confirm/deny?  Do Arab, Indian and Chinese commercials (or television and popular films in general) appear as insane to the average foreign viewer, or is Japan special?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DontSayBanana

Japan is pretty unique. It's the only country I've seen that takes pride in endorsing kitsch on a national level. You're not going to find any public toilet palaces in India or China, certainly.

We need to air-drop adirol on Japan.
Experience bij!

vinraith

It turns out that the genetic damage caused by proximity to atomic detonations has some... unfortunate long term side effects.

DontSayBanana

I guess so. In two centuries, we've seen them go from haiku and pagodas to Hello Kitty and Panda Girls. :unsure:
Experience bij!

Queequeg

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 01, 2009, 10:21:39 PM
I guess so. In two centuries, we've seen them go from haiku and pagodas to Hello Kitty and Panda Girls. :unsure:
Meh.  In the same period we've gone from "FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE!" to "Getrrrr duuuuun!"
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

FunkMonk

Quote from: vinraith on April 01, 2009, 10:18:03 PM
It turns out that the genetic damage caused by proximity to atomic detonations has some... unfortunate long term side effects.

We... did this? :weep:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2009, 10:22:30 PM
Meh.  In the same period we've gone from "FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE!" to "Getrrrr duuuuun!"
Seriously, get over moby dick. soon you'll be doing unspeakable things to a plush doll from Seaworld.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Queequeg

Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2009, 10:53:42 PM
Seriously, get over moby dick. soon you'll be doing unspeakable things to a plush doll from Seaworld.
How about "QUOTH THE RAVE "NEVERMORE!"  Just thought I should maximize the comparison with Larry the Cable Fuckwit.

HVC

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2009, 10:59:45 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2009, 10:53:42 PM
How about "QUOTH THE RAVE "NEVERMORE!"  Just thought I should maximize the comparison with Larry the Cable Fuckwit.
Lol, now i have an image of emo Poe on E in a Rave club.... i need sleep.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2009, 10:22:30 PMMeh.  In the same period we've gone from "FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE!" to "Getrrrr duuuuun!"

Moby Dick as a comedy novel makes a lot more sense.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

vinraith

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2009, 10:41:50 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 01, 2009, 10:18:03 PM

We... did this? :weep:

Call it a pet theory.  :D

There's always been low class entertainment and high class entertainment in this country, cross comparing the two isn't quite fair.

Fireblade

GIT R DONE

The funniest thing is, Larry the Cable Guy is a damn yankee.

Magnus

Quote from: Fireblade on April 02, 2009, 12:03:03 AM
GIT R DONE

Nebraska isn't yankee.

citizen k

Quote from: Magnus on April 02, 2009, 12:47:37 AM
GIT R DONE

Nebraska isn't yankee.
They fought on the Union side.  :huh:

Magnus

Quote from: citizen k on April 02, 2009, 01:01:34 AM
Quote from: Magnus on April 02, 2009, 12:47:37 AM
GIT R DONE

Nebraska isn't yankee.
They fought on the Union side.  :huh:
Hard for the state to do that, as it didn't exist till 1867.

I grant you it wasn't dixie, it was whatever the hell westerners were calling themselves at the time.