News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Hong Kong?

Started by HisMajestyBOB, December 20, 2009, 02:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Definitely ask Mono for restaurant recommendations.  He knows good food.

For my part, my favourite Hong Kong restaurant is FINDS (Finland Iceland Norway Denmark Sweden) - it serves modern micro food from Scandinavian ingredients.  Very taste and fairly unique.

You should probably do high tea at the Peninsula for that old time colonial feeling.

It's worth walking along the street... whatever the hell it's called... in Soho with all the antique shops, just to look through the windows.  There's this one intricately carved mammoth tusk that's just... well, very nicely done (not an antique though).

I enjoyed the police museum near the Peak.  A bit sleepy, but interesting if you're into history and police and crime.  Perhaps I like it for professional reasons; it's probably more of a grognard museum than a modern experience though they did try.

The Star Ferry and the night market(s) are worthwhile as well, as Mono says.  And take one of the trams some time too - you pay $HK 2 when you exit, no matter how far you go.

Another recommendation - for transit to and from the airport I recommend getting a return ticket to the airport express (assuming you're going to Kowloon or somewhere not too far from Central) and then a cab from your hotel to where ever you go.  It's much quicker than driving, easy and convenient and when you leave you can check in your bags directly at the train station.  What I usually end up doing is check out from my hotel, go to the train station to check in and then spend the rest of the day hanging out in Central until I catch the train to the airport (assuming an afternoon or evening flight).  Much easier than having to go back to the hotel for the bags, I find.

How long are you staying?

katmai

Motherfucker, jake did you write off your visits as "research". you did, didn't you.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on December 21, 2009, 04:33:07 PM
Motherfucker, jake did you write off your visits as "research". you did, didn't you.

There was nothing to write off.  Everything was paid for.  Hard to write things off when you aren't spending any money :)

But yeah, it was all research.

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2009, 01:46:20 PM
Definitely ask Mono for restaurant recommendations.  He knows good food.

For my part, my favourite Hong Kong restaurant is FINDS (Finland Iceland Norway Denmark Sweden) - it serves modern micro food from Scandinavian ingredients.  Very taste and fairly unique.

You should probably do high tea at the Peninsula for that old time colonial feeling.

It's worth walking along the street... whatever the hell it's called... in Soho with all the antique shops, just to look through the windows.  There's this one intricately carved mammoth tusk that's just... well, very nicely done (not an antique though).

I enjoyed the police museum near the Peak.  A bit sleepy, but interesting if you're into history and police and crime.  Perhaps I like it for professional reasons; it's probably more of a grognard museum than a modern experience though they did try.

The Star Ferry and the night market(s) are worthwhile as well, as Mono says.  And take one of the trams some time too - you pay $HK 2 when you exit, no matter how far you go.

Another recommendation - for transit to and from the airport I recommend getting a return ticket to the airport express (assuming you're going to Kowloon or somewhere not too far from Central) and then a cab from your hotel to where ever you go.  It's much quicker than driving, easy and convenient and when you leave you can check in your bags directly at the train station.  What I usually end up doing is check out from my hotel, go to the train station to check in and then spend the rest of the day hanging out in Central until I catch the train to the airport (assuming an afternoon or evening flight).  Much easier than having to go back to the hotel for the bags, I find.

How long are you staying?

If you go to Peninsula for high tea, it is best to do so on weekdays.  There are huge queues during weekends and public holidays.  IMHO, they offer the best high tea sets in HK.  If you have to do it on weekends, go after 5:30 pm when the queues disappear.  They actually do high tea before 7:00 pm.  My wife and I sometimes rush out of the office by 6:30 pm, then race to the hotel and place the order *just* before 7. 

The antique shops are on Wellington street in central, in the Soho area.  99% of the stuff they sell are not real antiques, but it is worth looking at nonetheless.  Another place I suggest is China Arts and Crafts.  They have branches in many places, and sell everything from antiques, clothes, jewelry, accessories, fine china, paintings, scruptures, etc.  They have everything from the cheapest stuff to things that cost millions apiece.  Worth looking at even if you don't buy anything.

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on December 21, 2009, 07:22:44 PM99% of the stuff they sell are not real antiques, but it is worth looking at nonetheless. 

But they'll claim it's real.  I'm interested in getting some nice replicas at some point, so I went in to talk to them but they insisted everything they had was real.  I wonder if I can find the source of the replicas and just buy from them directly at some point.

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2009, 09:18:42 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 21, 2009, 07:22:44 PM99% of the stuff they sell are not real antiques, but it is worth looking at nonetheless. 

But they'll claim it's real.  I'm interested in getting some nice replicas at some point, so I went in to talk to them but they insisted everything they had was real.  I wonder if I can find the source of the replicas and just buy from them directly at some point.

They lie  :lol: The source is somewhere across the border.  There are many different stores in the Wellington street area, but many of them are actually owned by the same groups.  And they share a lot of the same sources.  So everything may actually be produced in several factories somewhere in China. 

HisMajestyBOB

Thanks for the info and advice!

How cheaply can I get by per day? I found a fairly cheap place in Kowloon - I assume public transportation is good enough that its feasible to stay there and take a train or bus downtown?

I won't be able to get away with surviving on cheap Ramen (my traveling partner would kill me), so how are the local, hole-in-the-wall places for breakfast and lunch? I figure I'll eat out a few times, at someplace that's good but not too expensive (so not too good, I guess).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

http://www.cuisinecuisine.hk/eng/

Jacob, next time when you come to HK, try this place.  The style is very contemporary, and the quality is superb.  The restaurant is located at ifc mall in central.  Why is it so good?  Because a co-owner of the ifc mall has an office in the ifc tower, and he needs to eat somewhere.  This guy is one of the richest man not just in HK, but in the world.  So when he picks the tenant for his Chinese restaurant, the rent level is not the most important consideration, but whether the food is good enough :mmm:

There are two branches.  The newest branch is in Tsim Sha Tsui, again in a hotel that the same tycoon owns.  Go to the central branch, the TST branch is not as good. 

Monoriu

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 21, 2009, 09:50:26 PM
Thanks for the info and advice!

How cheaply can I get by per day? I found a fairly cheap place in Kowloon - I assume public transportation is good enough that its feasible to stay there and take a train or bus downtown?

I won't be able to get away with surviving on cheap Ramen (my traveling partner would kill me), so how are the local, hole-in-the-wall places for breakfast and lunch? I figure I'll eat out a few times, at someplace that's good but not too expensive (so not too good, I guess).

Don't worry about transportation.  All you need is the Octopus card (electronic money) and you can get anywhere by bus or MTR (subway). 

If you come to HK, you should eat dim sum for breakfast or lunch.  The best place for dim sum is this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_Yu_(tea_house)

If you go before 10:30 am, many old ladies will carry dim sum around the place and you can grab the food from them and pay later.  If you go after 10:30 am, they'll give you a piece of paper for you to choose the dim sum you want.  It is best if you go before 10:30 am if you can't read Chinese.  Don't let the fact that this place is frequented by celebrities fool you. The dim sum is cheap considering its quality (about US$4 each, and 4-5 is enough for 2 people). 

You can also try the Wing Wah noodle house, known for its al dente wanton noodles.  It is good and not expensive -
89 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, 2527-7476

Monoriu

http://www.whampoaworld.com/diningtips_shopinfo.asp?shopID=119

This is the best place for spicy Sichuan noodles (Jacob's wife will know) in HK.

http://www.zagat.com/Verticals/PropertyDetails.aspx?VID=8&R=123647&pid=215

And this is the best Shanghai food in town that doesn't require a membership card.  It is more expensive, but worth it.  If you eat dim sum lunch it really isn't that expensive (about US$50 for 2). 

Monoriu

For a place that is both good and not too expensive, I recommend this -

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g294217-d583732-r47921526-Hong_Kong_Disneyland_Hotel-Hong_Kong_Hong_Kong_Region.html

The name of its Chinese restaurant is Crystal Lotus.  The price is reasonable because it is located so far away from the city centre.  Don't worry about its association with Disney, trust me the food is good :mmm:

And make sure you go to the right hotel.  There are 2 hotels in Disney.  If you see blue on the hotel exterior, you're in the wrong building (where the food is the usual Disney stuff - crap). 

HisMajestyBOB

Thanks a bunch! :cheers:
I'll check out the dim sum places. That sounds like what I'm looking for breakfast/lunch.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

If money is an issue but you desire decent quality, the Maxim's line is a good compromise.  They have lots of choices, but the House of Jasmine is one of the better ones.  It is Cantonese with a new twist. 

http://www.maxims.com.hk/en/main.asp

If money is not an issue and you just want to have one great Chinese meal, probably the best all round Cantonese restaurant is Lung King Heen - the Chinese restaurant of Four Seasons Hotel.  Located at IFC mall in central.  Their dim sum is good, but Luk Yu is better and cheaper.  So this place is good for dinner or lunch without dim sum.

http://www.fourseasons.com/hongkong/dining/lung_king_heen.html

If you want to save money and want to experience something that is unique to Hong Kong, you should try one of the "HK style cafes".  They offer grass root type food, tons of choices at cheap prices but decent quality.  The tea with milk and HK style pastries are particularly good and memorable.  This is one of the best HK style cafes, and they have tons of branches -

http://www.tsuiwahrestaurant.com/eng/main_e.html

I've been talking about Chinese food only because that's what I guess you are interested in.  But we also have very good Japanese, Thai and western restaurants if you want.  If you absolutely want the best view of the harbour no matter what, this is the place to go -

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/hongkong/islandshangrila/dining/restaurant/restaurantpetrus

On a good day, the view is even better than the Peak (look at the pic in the link - it is closer to the water).  To save money, you have to buy their set lunch menu, which should be about US$60 per person (one glass of wine included, I remember because I always decline it).  The food is 9/10. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on December 21, 2009, 10:03:04 PM
If you come to HK, you should eat dim sum for breakfast or lunch.  The best place for dim sum is this -
I love dim sum.  Fried char sui and then egg custard tarts :mmm:

QuoteThis is the best place for spicy Sichuan noodles (Jacob's wife will know) in HK.
Ants on a tree trunk (or something similar)? 
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2009, 01:07:36 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 21, 2009, 10:03:04 PM
I love dim sum.  Fried char sui and then egg custard tarts :mmm:

QuoteThis is the best place for spicy Sichuan noodles (Jacob's wife will know) in HK.
Ants on a tree trunk (or something similar)?

The best egg custard tart in HK (and a favourite of Chris Patton, the last governor of HK) is this -

http://www.taicheongbakery.com/tc/

Make 100% sure that you eat the tart HOT.  It should be a crime to serve cold or lukewarm egg custard tarts.

Don't know what you mean by fried char sui :unsure:

Ants on a tree trunk is not really noodle, strictly speaking.  It is more like vermicelli that is made from peas.  I like tan tan noodle better - egg noddle in spicy sauce.